TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a code trip about a week ago. I unpluged the negitive cable. The engine light went out for a bout an hour then it returned. So I just drove around with it on. Then on thursday I way sitting at a light, there was nobody around and water on the road. So like any good warm blooded diehard ford fan. I lit 'em up!!! For, what I would say 15 seconds them a nice slow burn out. To a quick bark of the tires. Wouldn't you know the damn engine light went away. I thought I might have blown a bulb or fuse. But the engine light still comes on when I start her up. But no return of that damn light. What would you say did that??? Eric

What I ment to say was the engine light dosen't stay on after the start up.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the computer decided you weren't going to pay attention and shut up. the code could still be stored.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would I "pull the codes"? I went to autoZone and was told they don't do that any more. Free diagnostic! Isn't there a way to short two pins. Or get the engine light to flash or something?

·
Registered
633 Posts
funderbird said:
How would I "pull the codes"? I went to autoZone and was told they don't do that any more. Free diagnostic! Isn't there a way to short two pins. Or get the engine light to flash or something?
you are in California, so they will not do it. The other 49 great states will do it.

Your other option is to buy a scanner, know someone who has a scanner, or pay out the a** for someone to scan it for you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I went to AutoZone because of my MIL, and they gave me this key to put in "somewhere". I went and looked, couldn't find anything. Turns out the dumbasses gave me the GM key, I figured that one out after I looked on it. I don't know if they know that Thunderbird is made by Ford.

Anyways, I said screw that, just did it at school with the scantool we had there. Turned out to be a bad MAF, so just gotta get my hands on a better one with a bigger diameter. :D

For your case, I would just go to an auto repair shop and ask them to look and see what the code is. They might even do it for free, who knows. It takes 2 minutes to do; just plug it in(under the dash on the passenger side), put the right card in, select the car, VIN, and motor, and tell it to pull codes.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Ask them how much first, I've heard of places charging $75. The mechanic I goto only charges if he found a code AND the code was right in diagnosing the problem.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Shorting 2 pins out is for OBD I systems only! Don't try it on your car, which has OBD II. The only way to pull OBD II codes is with a scantool or NGS. Yeah, about the GM key you got from the AZ guys, they probably thought you had a FIREBIRD. (GM) Not the first time it's happened to people.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
code reader on ebay for $50
Something like that should do it for reading codes. I have a older version of the same thing and its real helpful. I had codes recently and I just left them for a long time. The C/E light would go on and off all the time. Mine happend to be the O2 sensors that were bad. Once they were replaced, no more codes for months now. But tha was just mine. There could be any number of things that would through the codes.

good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shawn40th said:
code reader on ebay for $50
Something like that should do it for reading codes. I have a older version of the same thing and its real helpful. I had codes recently and I just left them for a long time. The C/E light would go on and off all the time. Mine happend to be the O2 sensors that were bad. Once they were replaced, no more codes for months now. But tha was just mine. There could be any number of things that would through the codes.

good luck

Hey when your oxygen sensors were going bad or bad, did your car rumble at a fter you braked? Mine rumbles after driving a while like when I brake at a stop light or something. Im pulling the codes now though, so Im gonna see if the oxygen sensors are the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts