TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question about an engine light on a 89 bird 3.8 N/A. While taking my car down to get it inspected, the engine light came on. When I turned the car off at the gas station and restarted it, the engine light was no longer on. It did come backon after a few miles which is leading me to believe it's the O2 sensor(s). What do you guys think? Also, is there any way to check the light? Would a bad O2 cause the car to idle a little rough and run rich? I believe it would since I don't havea MAF and O2's are an input. Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Go to an autoparts store and have them read the codes. That should tell you what you need to do.

·
Registered
958 Posts
its not a bird if the light ain't on........i failed my emissions test.......so i replaced my o2 sensors and passed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that auto stores won't read the codes. Just thought I'd ask in case someone else had this problem. I haven't done emissions yet, because I know it will fail. That is one headache I don't want to deal with yet. Luckily, they only check the tail pipe because of the year. Anything 94 and newer, they hook up to the computer and check for codes.

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
mybird_91 said:
its not a bird if the light ain't on.
Or a Cat for that matter. lol :D

My O2 sensor made my 'check engine' light come on a few times & I always had mine read by my mechanic.

My Cat had the "rich fuel" reading a few weeks before my 02 sensor went bad. After it went bad then it started to idle rough....hope that helps you out. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I went to Canadian tire and bought a code reader for my 94' N/A bird for $50.00. Worked well helped me troubleshoot alot.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Has anyone found a decent (read cheap) ODB1 code reader for the pre-ODBII MN-12's? I am sure someone has. I was curious of brand and model number. I am kind of tired paying my local guy to read the codes for me. My local parts stores tell me they can't help with the codes since the car is "ancient". Here I thought my 65 MG was old, and I find out my 94 Merc is ancient.

Thanks for any info guys.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
actron makes a cheap one. part number cp9015. my only complaint is that while doing the engine on test, it's hard to hear the code readers beeping (it beeps the codes at you, and flashes a light). cheap but works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts