TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and I think there is an incredible amount of information available at this site. I have a '96 T-Bird 4.6 with 150K miles. The car misses under heavy load at start and clears up about 1500rpm. It also misses on the highway at the low end of the gear range. I replaced MAFS, TPS, plugs (AGSF32 gapped to .55) with no improvement. Interesting that when I gapped the plugs at .60, the miss occurred a little higher in the range and was more pronounced. I've read all available posts and, based on one I pulled the plugs and used electrical grease on the connections. The car ran beautifully for about 1,000 miles and the miss is starting again. I've had the car about 2 years and have not replaced the plug wires (but they appear to be in good condition). Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
littleherbie said:
I've read all available posts and, based on one I pulled the plugs and used electrical grease on the connections. The car ran beautifully for about 1,000 miles and the miss is starting again. I've had the car about 2 years and have not replaced the plug wires (but they appear to be in good condition). Does anyone have any thoughts?
I had a similar problem. If you used anti-sieze compound on the plugs, you could have used too much. When I changed wires, I noticed that some of the plug ends would pop back off the plug when attached (it would click on the plug, but the boot would pop it back off). So I pulled the wire through the boot to get a better fit (needle nose pliers to grab the part that pops on the plug and then pull the boot up the wire a little). I then used the dielectric grease on the coil packs, the tip of the boot, and all over the outside of the boot.

That's what it took for me.
Hope it helps,
Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts