TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys I need a no BS assesment on how hard and how long it will take to swap out motor mounts on my 95 3.8 xr-7.

Also how hard are the trans mounts to change as well.

I need a list of all tools and parts I am going to need so I can start putting everything together. Include all the things I might need if I am to run into common problems that come up in this job.

I apreciate the help in advance , also if anyone in the NY/NJ area would like to help I would be grateful and maybe able to help out with food/beer/ or money.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Engine mounts, I couldn't tell you. I'm sure someone else can.

Tranny mounts are easy. Hardest part I had was getting the exhaust removed so I could get the cross member out. Once its out, follow these instructions.

Crossmember bushings install

You can get the parts at www.supercoupeperformance.com. The instructions say to use a "Press". I used a common bench vice and some old sockets.

Hope that helps. :)

·
5,650 Posts
Doing the motor mounts isn't that bad. I did it a while ago on my 96 3.8.

Place a jack with a block of wood under the oil pan. Lift up until there is firm pressure on it. Now take and undo both bolts that hold the motor mounts to the crossmember. You might need several long extensions and a u-joint (bolt is 13mm I believe). Once they are unbolted, you can raise the engine. Do it slowly keeping an eye on the tension on the A/C line from the compressor to the condensor and also on the intake manifold as it gets close to the cowl at the back. Raise it up as high as you need, and then undo the nut on top of the motor mount (18mm I believe) and just work the motor mount and bracket out. Once both are out, just unbolt the old mount and put the new one on. You might want to tap the threads of the new mount to make it easier, but you don't have to. Do the reverse of the above for installation. For a first timer, expect to take 2-3 hours doing it.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
it took me 2-3 hours on my thrid time doing it. Defenately use solid motor mounts.

after everything is done and you have the lower bolt in lose. Put the weight of the engine on the mounts so they can spread a little then tighten the lower bolt. I tightend mine with the weight off the mounts and the mounts (fluid filled on my first replacement) rolled on themselves a little and were bad in 3 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts