TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have a busted or worn engine mount. Just by how it drives, I feel like when I start to accelerate it feels like the whole engine rocks to one side and makes a soft "bump" and then starts to go right when it makes the bump sound/feel. What's the best/ easiest way to check this out. It's it easy to see, or is there stuff in the way?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Lift up the hood all the way...
Start car...
Apply brakes tightly continuously...
Put in drive...if the drivers side of the engine pulls up significantly its bad...
Put in reverse...if the passengers side of the engine pulls up significantly its bad...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried this in drive, and it was pretty nasty looking. How much would I expect to pay to have this fixed?

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
sears did my moms car about 3 years ago with solid rubber mounts for 350. But I supplied the parts.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I would have done it myself but it wasn't worth the time off from work I would have lost money in the process.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't have many tools. Many mechanical skills. Or the confidence to work on something like that. I want to know how much I need to expect for a shop to fix it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, I've called around.

My normal mechanic said worst case would be about $300, but I think that's just 1 mount, I'm not sure, I didn't think to ask.

Jensen Tire will be calling me back

Tires Plus told me about $330 to do both mounts, but he said that's a general price. I'm not sure if he was referring to the price of the mounts or the labor. He said labor for two would be $191.40

Does this sound right?

Are motor mounts one of those things were if one goes, the other is soon to follow?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Ok, I've called around.

My normal mechanic said worst case would be about $300, but I think that's just 1 mount, I'm not sure, I didn't think to ask.

Jensen Tire will be calling me back

Tires Plus told me about $330 to do both mounts, but he said that's a general price. I'm not sure if he was referring to the price of the mounts or the labor. He said labor for two would be $191.40

Does this sound right?

Are motor mounts one of those things were if one goes, the other is soon to follow?
man i'm glad i can do my own labor. i did a mount on mine in <30 min. i have skinny arms. :)

and if one is busted there is more strain on the other and the factory mounts aren't that great.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Center section?

Hello

Post a picture!

If it similar the the 5.0 I have a CHEEP alterative.

I use 1 3/4in round tubing. about 3 1/2 in long??
Hockey pucks have also been used.

Any circle track car builder will have this tubing. You will also need a Grade 8+ bolt & nut per side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts