TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been a while since I posted, but this new noise has got me worried.

I'm still trying to peg it down as to when and where it's coming from.

There has almost always been a sort of grinding noise coming from one of the pulleys when I first start the car up. That usually goes away after about 10 seconds. It's a little more persistant now, but there's also a high pitched noise added to the mix now.

I can't tell where the new noise is coming from. It seems to happen at all speeds. It sounds to me like when a plane is getting ready for take off and the engines are powered up.

I know it's not too much to go on, but any ideas would be helpful. My first thought is water pump, but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Sean

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Sounds like it could be the water pump. It's hard to describe those sounds, I know, but when mine went last summer it made some interesting metallic grinding noises. I've got a Motorcraft pump with about 4k miles on it, let me know if you determine that it is the water pump and you want a new one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
what about the idler pulley ? it can make sounds that make it sound like a water pump too. i just had mine replaced.

Frank

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
please tell me it didn't cost any more than $18 and 5 min of your time??? please???

that was the simplest thing i have EVER done to my car.. it's easier than changing oil that for sure, almost as simple as checking the oil

·
Registered
212 Posts
Take the serpentine belt off and spin all the pulleys. I replaced both my idler and tentioner pulley only to have the ac pulley go bad 2 days later. The ac pulley made noise on startup then quited down. Eventually it did not quite down.

If your car has high miles on it you would be better off replacing all the pulleys at once.

·
8,239 Posts
I agree, just replace all the idler pulleys at once instead of doing them one at a time, also it would be a good time for a new serpentine belt depending on the condition of yours.

Also when the water pump goes bad it will grind pretty hard. Water pumps are cheap and easy to do in these cars also.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The idler pulley and the tensioner pulley are the same Ford part number.

You can get them for around $11-$13 each.

The water pump is not a piece of cake to get out, but it isn't as bad as the oil filter.

You just have to bang on it alot to get it to come out.

The alternator bearings also can go, and make similar sounds when bad.

Justin, what's up with the Vortech avatar? 96 Sport ? sounds interesting...........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts