TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 TBird 4.6L. A week or so ago my engine started overheating. I pulled over filled it with water to the coolant level line and then took it to a local shop. Informed me I had a cracked lower hose and replaced. Fine. Next day driving it the car had a rough idle and started to shutter. All of a sudden all power shut off. To restart car had to give it alot of gas. Took it to another shop where they informed me i flooded cylinders 3,4,5 and my crankcase. Also informed me heads were warped but not cracked. They said complete overhall around 3k, or new engine 6k. I'm a college student so those prices are a bit out of reach. Plus I'm pretty sure I can do it for much cheaper. Even thought about swaping in a 5.0L, because cheaper and easier to work on. What does anyone recommend that I can or should do? Any help would be helpful.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
That sounds like it could have happened.

For $3k you can get a new 99 PI motor installed. $1,500 motor and $1,500 installation and materials. That is if Ford did not raise the price in the last couple of years...

You have the following options:

1. Buy a used motor from a junk yard. Of course you risk getting another lemon. You can always ask the Junk yard for a guarentee.
2. Take the heads off and see if you can get them fixed at a machine shop and re-install them.

Either of the above will take about the same amount of time.

Good luck.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Ok look you seem to need this more than I do. Give me a shout at

[email protected]

and I'll see if i can help you.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Man, the level of specificity of that diagnonsis?? There's no way they can know what they're taking about! (I mean, that would have cost them $$$ to diagnose!) I want a second opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts