TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey first of all I wanted to say I did hit the search button and I haven't found what I needed to know and I am not a car guru by any means so I have a simple question here for all you T-Bird gurus. Just out of curiosity what would be a *Direct fit* for a 4.6 in a 97 bird Sport. After looking of wikipedia I found the following list ;
991–1993 Lincoln Town Car, 190 hp (142 kW) and 270 lb·ft (366 N·m)
1992–1997 Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis, 210 hp (157 kW) and 270 lb·ft (366 N·m) with dual exhaust option
1998–2000 Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis, 215 hp (160 kW) and 285 lb·ft (386 N·m) with dual exhaust option
2001–2002 Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis, 235 hp (175 kW) and 275 lb·ft (373 N·m) with dual exhaust option
2003–2004 Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis, 239 hp (178 kW) and 282 lb·ft (382 N·m) with dual exhaust option
2004–present Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, 250 hp (186 kW) and 297 lb·ft (403 N·m)
1994–1997 Lincoln Town Car, 210 hp (157 kW)
1994–1995 Ford Thunderbird, 205 hp (153 kW) and 265 lb·ft (359 N·m)
1996–1997 Ford Thunderbird, 210 hp (157 kW) and 290 lb·ft (393 N·m)
1994–1995 Mercury Cougar, 205 hp (153 kW) and 265 lb·ft (359 N·m)
1996–1997 Mercury Cougar, 205 hp (153 kW) and 280 lb·ft (380 N·m)
1997–2010 Ford F-Series, 248 hp (185 kW) and 294 lb·ft (399 N·m) ratings for 2007 and later model year F-Series
1997–present Ford E-Series, 225 hp (168 kW) and 286 lb·ft (388 N·m) ratings for 2001 and later model year E-Series
1998–2000 Lincoln Town Car, 205 hp (153 kW)
2001–2002 Lincoln Town Car, 235 hp (175 kW)
2003–2004 Lincoln Town Car, 239 hp (178 kW)
2002–2005 Ford Explorer, 239 hp (178 kW) and 282 lb·ft (382 N·m)
1996–1997 Ford Mustang, 215 hp (160 kW) and 285 lb·ft (386 N·m)
1998 Ford Mustang, 225 hp (168 kW) and 290 lb·ft (393 N·m)
1999–2004 Ford Mustang, 260 hp (194 kW) and 302 lb·ft (409 N·m)
2003–2005 Rover 75, 260 hp (194 kW) and 302 lb·ft (409 N·m)
2003–2005 MG ZT, 260 hp (194 kW) and 302 lb·ft (409 N·m)

Now I know after going threw a few threads here that the Explorer engine required lots of modifications that's basically my question what would be a direct fit? Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
if I'm understanding you correctly, you don't want to swap anything at all on the replacement engine....in that case, you will have to go with a non-PI engine such as another 96-98 4.6 due to the fact that the 99+ engines utilize coil-on-plug [no brackets to hold the coil packs on the timing cover], as opposed to our engines that have provisions for the brackets to mount the coil packs

that being the case, you can use any newer Romeo iron-block PI engine, and still use your coil packs by simply swapping your timing cover onto the new engine....this opens up the options to acquiring a newer engine with much less miles than you'll be able to find from the 96-98 model year

the "sticky" thread about differences in Romeo and Windsor engines goes into lots of detail

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if I'm understanding you correctly, you don't want to swap anything at all on the replacement engine....in that case, you will have to go with a non-PI engine such as another 96-98 4.6 due to the fact that the 99+ engines utilize coil-on-plug [no brackets to hold the coil packs on the timing cover], as opposed to our engines that have provisions for the brackets to mount the coil packs

that being the case, you can use any newer Romeo iron-block PI engine, and still use your coil packs by simply swapping your timing cover onto the new engine....this opens up the options to acquiring a newer engine with much less miles than you'll be able to find from the 96-98 model year

the "sticky" thread about differences in Romeo and Windsor engines goes into lots of detail
Could I still swap a 99+ Romeo engine in my car even If right now I have a Windsor? Not sure but I believe I saw a W on my vehicule ID.. so I guess that would stand for Windsor .. I'd have to take a look at it but if it is is there any more mods I'd have to do other than the timming cover or I can simply look at a 99+ 4.6switch the timming cover and it's a done deal?
Reason I'm asking is because a dude down the street is selling a 97 Grand Marquis cheap but now with what you told I might keep the money and look for something better for next summer if an engine shop can do simple modifications without it costing me a fourtune.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I didn't know they made a 1997 Thunderbird with a Windsor engine; AMOF, I'm almost positive they didn't.....

How many bolts hold down your valve covers? Romeo = 11 bolts, Windsor = 13 bolts I believe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know they made a 1997 Thunderbird with a Windsor engine; AMOF, I'm almost positive they didn't.....

How many bolts hold down your valve covers? Romeo = 11 bolts, Windsor = 13 bolts I believe.
Maybe I'm wrong then. Haha I bougt this car last winter but it's still listed on the website http://alex-auto.autoexpert.ca/fr-ca/alex_auto/Inventaire-d-occasions/Ford-Thunderbird-LIMITED-EDITION.aspx?vid=811620
I tought maybe the W stood for Windsor. 1FALP62W3VH167254
VIN Code: L
Brake System: STANDARD
GVWR Class:
Line,Series Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions
VIN Code: P62
Vehicle Line: Thunderbird
Series: LX
Vehicle Type: Passenger Car
Engine Type - 8th Position
VIN Code: W
Engine: 4.6 L
Cylinders: 8
Fuel: Gasoline
Model Year - 10th Position
VIN Code: V
Model Year: 1997
Assembly Plant - 11th Position
VIN Code: H
Assembly Plant: LORAIN, OHIO
Production Sequence Number - 12th - 17th
VIN Code: 167254
Prod Sequence Number 167254

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
your stock engine is not a windsor, its a romeo....with a couple of exceptions, the windsor mod motors were used for trucks/vans/etc

the main differences being the some of the bolts that go through the timing cover into the head are larger diameter in a windsor, and the windsor valve covers use more bolts into the heads

I haven't done an engine swap myself, I've only modified my stock romeo engine, so I'm sure others who have done the swap will chime in.....other than needing a different timing cover, you would just reuse your stock fuel rails (most PI engines, if not all use a returnless fuel rail that would be unuseable for you)....thats as much as I can remember right now, i'm tired..lol

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
None of our cars came with windsor engines.

The only direct swap is another 13 year old bird/cougar.

The easiest PI swap is a cast iron engine out of a crown vic, gran marquis, or town car.
You have to swap everything on the outside of the engine and do the "PI intake swap" (except for the rtv); everything else is harder.

You have to hope after the swap that it doesn't waste your tired drivetrain immediately after you get it running.

If you haven't changed out the driveshaft, the tranny, upgraded the brakes, and mostly replaced the wear items in the suspension, you have other needs than the engine. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
None of our cars came with windsor engines.

The only direct swap is another 13 year old bird/cougar.

The easiest PI swap is a cast iron engine out of a crown vic, gran marquis, or town car.
You have to swap everything on the outside of the engine and do the "PI intake swap" (except for the rtv); everything else is harder.

You have to hope after the swap that it doesn't waste your tired drivetrain immediately after you get it running.

If you haven't changed out the driveshaft, the tranny, upgraded the brakes, and mostly replaced the wear items in the suspension, you have other needs than the engine. :)
I'm asking to see what would be my options if I eventually have to change the engine. I think my valves might be starting to *tick* .. I did a couple of scrap yards last week and when they asked me what car I had and I said a Thunderbird they all looked at me as I was coming from another planet.. lol

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm asking to see what would be my options if I eventually have to change the engine. I think my valves might be starting to *tick* .. I did a couple of scrap yards last week and when they asked me what car I had and I said a Thunderbird they all looked at me as I was coming from another planet.. lol
Really it depends on the scrap yard you go to. Remember the guys there don't know anything until you get to the payment counter and they want to charge you for whatever piece you put on the 'second' desk. The guys at the check in are going to take 2 bucks and send you on your way, or ask to look for your specific year and tell you to leave if they don't have it (and that option is only if they actually know their inventory is correct and have a computer system). If you would have asked for a crown vic they would have had a bunch lol.

Anyway if the 'tick' your talking about is when your inside the car, almost sounds like it's directly behind the radio, and it barely gets faster with an increase in engine speed, than disappears because the engine is too loud. mine does that too and I hear it's pretty common. Like someone else said, I'd worry about the tranny and suspension parts first than the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts