TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 T-Bird with the 3.8L V6 engine. I currently have 143,000 miles on the car and it is my daily driver.

I want to keep this car but I am undecided about the engine. I live in an apartment and can do little work on my own. This car is a daily driver and I don't need outrageous performance or incredible racing-type HP.

Should I rebuild the 3.8? Will it last awhile? How much on average?

I just want the car to run well for as long as possible and recapture the power of its youth.

Or...

Should I drop in a 4.2? I love the results but don't think I can afford it or find someone to do it.

How much would a 3.8 rebuild cost and is it advisable? Any ideas?

Thank you.

~Michael

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Like any other engine it'll last a while unless you've run it low on oil or the like. The key question is what about the head gaskets? If they haven't been done you may want to do them and just keep driving it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Well, I call my friends at Ford today and ask how much to rebuild my 3.8. They say approximately $3500. So, I ask how much for a new engine? They say $3500. There has to be another solution.

~Michael

·
Registered
538 Posts
Find

get a used engine with lower mileage....Just have your mechanic find it for you or locate one yourself...but make sure your mechanic checks it out before installing it.
Good used one could be bought for $200-$800...depending on how well you shop.

I got a used one on my 88 for $300...and it ran strong...until i sold the car cuase some idiot beacked into my front end.

BeirutsFinest

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
If you want to be really adventureous (did I spell that right?) find a 4.2L truck motor. Check out PJs article on the swap. You could just use the short block with the heads off the 3.8 if you didn't want to get as involved as he did. You'll pick up cubes, power and torque, not a bad idea in my opinion! :thumbsup:

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts