TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched but i couldnt find this. does anyone know about how much a mechanic will charge me for an engine rebuild for the 4.6 . my friend told me about a guy that will do it for 600 with me not having to buy anything. is that a good price? thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
do you wanna patch it or fully rebuild it,patching is usually the way people go because they dont have the money,and they save for the full rebuild which is normally around $1500ish no including tranny work or a new TC.$600 sounds low to me.there alot of guys from texas around here.you should try to hookup with them,

like me i could of patched my engine all i needed to do was regrind my crank and get new bearings but the rest of the engine was old too no telling with all the metal particles that were flying around ,in my opinion i was wasting my money on the patch project so i didnt even waste my time

Tom

·
Registered
748 Posts
WHat do you mean by engine rebuilding??? And, are you talking stock or some building up??? Also, if a mechanic charges only $600, especially on one of these motors.....it sounds more like a patch job and I wouldn't waste the money nor the time.

In my eyes, even if you do a STOCK rebuild......you should stil take the block in to a machine shop and have it checked......or at least have the cylindar bores honed. ALso, have the crank checked as well as all the other internals. This itself would chew up most of that $600. You can do a proper rebuild or a throw together rebuild that may last a month, or may last a year. To me, if I'm going to go through the trouble of pulling the motor (or having it pulled), I'm going to have EVERYTHING checked out so I know nothing will break a month later because I decided to do it half azzed and cheap. See my point??

Well, good luck with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts