TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the stock redline is so incredibly low because of the stock converter, but what about if I dropped a T-45 into mine? What would I consider my redline then? 6000rpm? 6500rpm? Maybe even 7K? I doubt much higher than 6grand because of the stock cams and valvesprings, but I thought this might also be helpful to the general knowledge base.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You could probably run it up to 5800.
Auto Mustangs are the same way. They redline at 5200. Manual Stangs redline at 5800 (that might be 5.0?). Maybe it's 6000 for the manual 4.6 stang. Either way I'm sure you could run it up to that point.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
your TC isnt limiting your redline, and the spring MIGHT hold up past the normal shift points, but you arent making any power up that high anyway. take a look at a standard torque curve for one of these engines and youll see that winding it out, even if its possible, isnt going to make much of a benefit.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, true. But I was mostly just speculating. I know the Cobras rev mich higher than that. There's a guy in town that races a 12 second 02 Cobra with only headers, a lightweight flywheel/clutch, and a set of U/D pullies. He launches the carat 6500rpm and shifts are like 6800-6900rpm. I still wish I had a chance to ride in that car. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
You can't compare your Thunderbird's redline to a Cobra, your motor has two cams his motor has 4 :)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, but who knows. Maybe some day my TBird will have 4 cams of its own. :) I was only using that as an example that the 32v modulars are pretty rev happy. I just wasn't sure how rev happy a pre-99 16v modular would be. Ya know?

And I thought our rev limit and stock shift points were set so low was because of the stock converter ballooning around 5400rpm. I know the Mark VIII TC doesn't balloon until past 6K.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I wouldn't let a stock engine go anywhere past 6000, regardless of converter. Our engines are rather rev happy, not to the tune of 6500, but they do like the revs. past 3000, our cars REALLY come alive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts