TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I have a feeling that they do "same year, same type, same engine" type of swaps, where everything just gets disconnected/unplugged, and the new one plugged in. I seriously doubt they will want to mess with trying to adapt your car to accept the newer PI style intake that comes with an all aluminum PI engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer. I emailed them asking if they would do it for additional cost anyways so we will see what happens. If nothing else I can always do this first, then just keep an eye out for the engine i want and swap it out when I do have time.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The only thing they could do, would be to use the worthless 94/95 heads/intake on an all aluminum block, because that is the only way to retain your fuel lines, throttle body, EGR stuff, etc, etc. I doubt they have any clue as to what needs to be done to fully transplant a PI engine into your year car. These guys just want to get cars in, drag the old engine out, drop the replacement engine in, and send you on your way as fast as possible---that's how they make money. But like you said, we'll see.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I am lucky enough that they would do that much, its still better than a stock replacement. At least then I could do the PI swap on the aluminum engine myself the following summer. But it seems like I'm going to end doing whatever punch- clock service these dudes offer and finding the right mill on my own. I would be looking at 01 and up explorers for the aluminum PI correct?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you it was very helpful. That thread helped me to compile a buy list so I could figure out the budget. I am also weighing the advantages of the higher compression ratio vs the weight I would save.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts