TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why my 97 T-Bird 4.6L runs rich all the time. But I burn through spark plugs like water... It lacks low end punch, I used to be able to bark the tires from a dead stop but am unable to do so. It seems to of regained some mid-RPM power. I have FRPP plug wires and motorsport plugs as of last year. I still need to replace my ERG sensor(WHAT THE HELL DOES IT DO???) And I need to know how many o2 sensors the 4.6L on my T-Bird has. There is 93K on the clock and ticking. No longer interested in performance mods cause I'm getting married next year, and new F-150 is on my list. So if anyone can help me resolve some of my problems and maybe think what else it could be I'd appreciate it I can be reached at [email protected] thanks to all who read this.

Nick in St.Louis

P.S.-Go CARDS....

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If the car isn't missing, the plugs/wires are new, and the old plugs looked rich, I'd probably replace the O2 sensors. The front one on each side is the only one that controls the A/F mixture, no sense buying the rears.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
prime said:
...... I still need to replace my ERG sensor(WHAT THE HELL DOES IT DO???) And I need to know how many o2 sensors the 4.6L on my T-Bird has.... No longer interested in performance mods cause I'm getting married next year, and new F-150 is on my list.....
Here's info about the EGR system from the 1997 Service Manual. The DPFE sensor (or EGR Pressure Sensor) is called the EGR pressure transducer here:

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System
The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system is designed to:

reintroduce exhaust gas into the combustion cycle.
lower combustion temperatures.
reduce the formation of nitrous oxide (N2O).
The amount of exhaust gas reintroduced and the timing of the cycle varies by calibration.

Timing and volume are controlled by the following:

-engine rpm
-engine vacuum
-exhaust system backpressure
-engine coolant temperature
-throttle position

The EGR valve (EGR valve) (9D475) is vacuum actuated. The vacuum hose routing diagram is shown on the vehicle emission control information decal.

The EGR system is a differential pressure feedback EGR system. Differential pressure feedback EGR is a subsonic closed loop EGR system. The differential pressure feedback EGR system:

-monitors EGR flow rate by the pressure drop across the metering orifice.
-uses an EGR backpressure transducer as the feedback device.
-controlled pressure is varied by the valve movement using vacuum output of the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid.
-uses the EGR valve only as a pressure regulator rather than as a flow metering device.
-allows for a more accurate assessment of EGR flow requirements.

This article has information on the EGR system operation.

As far as I know, the 1997 4.6L T-bird has 4 oxygen sensors.

Though you did ask if anyone could assist in solving your problems, there's nothing I can do about the 'no performance mods,' marriage, and truck (I don't see how the three are related!) Hahaha! :D Just kidding, mon. A very early congrats to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts