TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 95LX with a 4.6L engine. When cranked cold, especially in the morning, it emits a loud screech from under the hood, which becomes less obvious, but never goes entirely away, once it is warmed up. Not being an expert - or even an informed driver - I look at the engine, hear the noise, but can't tell where it is coming from. My guess is something that is rotating or moving as the engine runs, since the noise gets louder as I begin to drive.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
My first guess would be either the tensioner pulley or the idle pulley. They are both cheap and relatively easy to replace.
It could also be the belt. If it is worn it will slip. Once it warms up it gets tacky and slips less.
Worst case scenario is the alternator or water pump. The alternator is easy to replace but is costly. The water pump is cheap and a little more work to replace.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My vote's on the pullies. I replaced them both this past year for the same noise. The idler is super easy and the tensioner takes just a little more work (the coil support bracket has to be removed IIRC.)

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
My vote is to check the belts first. Does it have a bunch of cracks? Belts stretch and loose effectiveness over time. If so it may need replacing...

If you have it out look at the pulleys and check them for roundness. Flat spots on pulleys will cause a screeching. :eek:

·
Registered
694 Posts
My vote is to check the belts first. Does it have a bunch of cracks? Belts stretch and loose effectiveness over time. If so it may need replacing...
:zwthstpd:

Mine did the same thing... screeched realllllyyyyy loud on cold days. Was just a bad belt... had cracks in it and the such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts