TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away from the board for awhile, but have been looking around at some of the things being discussed.
Cost vs. power you are better off building a SOHC
for wow factor, the DOHC is hands down the way to go.

Now here is the tech part.
I am running a 96 DOHC engine with a 97 SOHC(GT) EEC.
If you think about it you can run neary any engine with any EEC.
If anyone is working on a swap and has any questions, I am around email me.
Now the part I need, I've been thinking about putting a 3.9 DOHC engine in my 02 Ranger, but need information on the 3.9.
It seems I am running into the same problemwith finding information about the 3.9DOHC engine as I did back when i started planning the DOHC T-bird, nobody knows nothing....
any help would be great..

mark
550hp 94 DOHC T-bird
maybe a 400hp DOHC Ranger

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:

I think I can build a 2V setup with enough Wow for the eyes and more then enough HP for the rollers. Good luck with the ranger and glad you did not sell the Bird.

-Scott
That is an understatement!:D

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I assume you don't have the 3.9 yet?

What engine/trans combo is currently in your Ranger?

As far as I know the only Ford vehicles that use the Jag 3.9 are the T-Bird and the LS. Obviously Jaguar cars also use this or variants of this engine (such as the blown 4.2 in the XKR)...anyways, from all that I have seen the Bird/LS use a 5R55N automatic transmission. The LS also has an optional five-speed. Assuming you want to stay auto, you'd probably need to get a Bird/LS tranny as well as the engine. It's possible your Ranger could have a 5R55, but I think it will be a 5R55E if it has a five-speed auto. I'm not sure what the differences are between the E and the N, but I'd be fairly certain that the 3.9 V8 and whatever engine you have now use different bellhousings. I'm not sure how complicated it would be to rig up shift linkage, if you could use your current setup assuming you have a 5R or not, as the Bird/LS use floor shifters and optionally some sort of manual control to it as well. You'd probably need a Bird/LS computer and wiring harness as well.

I'd assume this is uncharted territory, so you'll probably have to learn along the way if you are really serious. Things such as motor mounts, trans mount, shift linkage, driveshaft, wiring are all going to be issues that have to be dealt with. Also I'm not positive that a 3.9 will fit in there. It surely could I suppose, but for some reason I had the notion that the 4.6 wouldn't fit in a Ranger/pre-'02 Explorer engine compartment. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it wount fit with out major modifications then Iwill just go crazy and do a 5.4 or 5.0 DOHC...
The transmission...I havent given much thought...
I run a 700R4 in my T-Bird, like the computer, you can make any of them work...

SOHC can be made to look good and make GREAT HP, but when you pop the hood on the DOHC T-bird, the engine really pops out of the engine compartment...
thanks
mjj

·
Registered
798 Posts
WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!! 700R4 Transmission, Isn't that a GM transmission?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yes it is. If DOHC bird has the car I think he does, a bright yellow bird with a Cobra engine and Vortec SC, he does have a 700R4 mated to it with an adapter plate. Pretty trick set up and a sweet ride. Pics of it were in the rides area. Not sure if they are still there.:thumbsup:

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Yes, the Scary Canary, how could anyone forget that awe inspiring article?! A truly amazing car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Green95LX said:
WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!! 700R4 Transmission, Isn't that a GM transmission?
Yes, when I start the DOHC project the 4R70W was crap, with little help making it better,
The 700R4 is lighter, has a better gear ration, you can keep the lock up converter, and doesnt need the computer to control it, oh and it was way cheaper to build than the 4R70W.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts