TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:
Being that I am a newbie here I have searched the forums w/o success so here goes. I have a 1998 Mustang 4.6L SOHC w/ T45 that I want to install into a pre 1993 Thunderbird that has a bad 3.6L V6 w/ Auto. Will the 4.6L fit the engine compartment? I know wiring, transmission, rear end issues have to be delt with but do not know about the sheetmetal differences in the engine compartment. Any help would be appreceiated. TIA. Burt

·
The Parts Guy
7,647 Posts
Yep, the engine will fit in the engine compartment. As you said, the wiring and other aspects of the swap will be a chore. I've done a similar swap (4.6L DOHC into my 90 XR7) which involved rewiring the entire car.

Good luck.

-Rod

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rod:
Just found out the second car by brother-in-law gave me is a 1990 with the 3.8L engine. Shows bubbles in the coolant tank so guessing blown head gasket or cracked head. No matter since it is destined to be my play car with the 4.6L/T-45 combo when I am not driving the XR4Ti or the 92 Sport. Thanks for the response, just what I had hoped for. Burt

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You will want a front k-member from a 93-up(?) car if you don't want to have to weld in the motor mounts.

·
The Parts Guy
7,647 Posts
tinman_72 said:
You will want a front k-member from a 93-up(?) car if you don't want to have to weld in the motor mounts.
I've heard this time and time again, yet my 4.6L DOHC slipped right onto my stock 90 XR7 K-member using regular old 4.6L mount brackets and solid rubber mounts. :confused:

-Rod

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
racecougar said:
I've heard this time and time again, yet my 4.6L DOHC slipped right onto my stock 90 XR7 K-member using regular old 4.6L mount brackets and solid rubber mounts. :confused:

-Rod
Then I guess you have debunked that one. That was one that I have also heard again and again but have had no first-hand experience with.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
lol i thought the k's were the same for all mn12's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts