TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think, which engine should I drop in the tbird.

1. A 99 cobra motor w/ 20k miles. $3400 shipped

2. 01 new cobra crate motor. around $4k plus shipping

3. A crate Mach1 engine. $4250 plus shipping

4. 01 4.6l GT crate motor. $3200 shipped

I am leaning on a 32 valve swap.

If anyone has any info on where I can get a cobra motor, please let me know. I will be buying one shortly, since I have to get my tbird running.

thanks,
Noe

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Noe S. said:

4. 01 4.6l GT crate motor. $3200 shipped

What is that compared to a regular GT motor? You can get a GT 99+ for 1200-2000 with little miles on it.

-Shawn

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have begun to shop around. I am weiry of buying a used motor becuase I don't want to run into any engine trouble(getting a bad engine).

My tbird has been inoperative for the past 2 years and I can't afford to have it that way much longer. Last week I got a notice from the city to move it(since it is parked in a carport facing the street) because "It is unlicensed and is a public nuisance". I ended up buying a 03 GT mustang. I really need to get started on getting the tbird running.

There is currently no motor in the bay. I removed it a while back.

A cobra motor would be sweet, since I already have one 4.6 sohc. LOL.

I shall be doing some more searching, but I will be buying something shortly.

thanks,
Noe

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
I would be very leary of installing anything that was not OE in the Republic of California. The smog Nazi's can really ruin your day when they figure out you have something "different" installed.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Last week I got a notice from the city to move it(since it is parked in a carport facing the street) because "It is unlicensed and is a public nuisance".
You have GOT to be kidding... That is (one of) the most rediculus things I have ever heard. If it's on your property, who are they to tell you to move it? Leave it to the govenment of Kalifornia...

What about an '02 Explorer engine for $1,300 or less? I actually saw some for about $1100 shipped, from greenleaf, I think. Yeah, it's not 32v, but do you really need 32 valves for 3x the price?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, the 4.6 SOHC swap is getting more reasonable. What year Explorer's came with the PI heads? Is the Mountaineer and the Explorer engine the same? If I can get one for $1500 shipped, that would be great.

Where are you guys getting these low prices, car-part.com?

thanks,
Noe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I have been doing some calling around and found a 02 GT motor w/300 miles for $990 w/ 1 year warranty shipped.

Now my only dilemma is whether to go with the alum. block(02 explorer) assuming i could get one for the same price, or the GT motor.

Is there more work involved swapping the 02 explorer engine than the 02 PI mustang engine? I have a 96 tbird.

thanks,
Noe

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
For a 96 bird it's probably a toss up. If you go to a 02 explorer motor you will need to get a 94 front cover since your 96 won't fit

·
Registered
14 Posts
over $4k for a '01 cobra engine? man, I think you should look around more first. I'm getting a '02 cobra motor for $3500 from a dealer. No shipping.
Of course, you could always go with the '03 cobra SC....for $12000....

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
I would be very leary of installing anything that was not OE in the Republic of California. The smog Nazi's can really ruin your day when they figure out you have something "different" installed.
Isn't California that nation who just a few years ago wanted everyone to crush any car that was 10 years old or older? I agree with Scott here: Keep her stock unless you have connections. :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
timb said:
02 explorer mountaineers got 4.6 PI motors and they have aluminum blocks. I found mine though www.greenleafauto.com
I have to second timb here. The 02 Explorer is gonna be a great kick in the butt. I don't know what I'm gonna do with all that new power. :D I bought my 02 engine for 900 plus tax with 13.5K from greenleaf also.

·
Registered
501 Posts
theres no need to worry if you dont tell them they wont know,just be sure to get the 4.6l plaque it kinda looks as though it was stock and if you really do the swap keep the taylor wire color scheme black"ie stock"looking thats all im going to do,ill tell you how the inspection went when i get my car together and get over there.im not scared lol theres alot of smog places

TRB

·
Registered
501 Posts
i read some articles it says that in the new engine or engine swap the motor cannot produce more pollution than the old engine ,but how are they going to know what the motor looks like?unless they are a enthuiast and that would be a plus,i mean they have no percentage of how many of our v-8s were made,some say only a few so what do they know what to look for unless they see 94-95 every day,im taking the chance Cya

TRB

·
Registered
501 Posts
lonnie lives in san diego and we all know how they are ,but you live in L.A. talk to anthony lewis he wont give you much but he will answer your question , he did pass smog with his 02 cobra block 5.4l heads,custom internals,etc.

TRB

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
281 tuner,

What project are you working on?

I'd love to drop in a DOHC engine, but the 01 GT engine is very hard to pass up for $990.

I can't find a cobra engine for less than $3k+.

thanks,
Noe

1 - 20 of 40 Posts