TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,m planning to install a late model 4.6L c/w 5 spd. into a 1990 to 1993 Tbird SC. Presently doing the research, I had a 1990 SC that I loved but didn,t like the motor or notchy 5 spd. Now looking to buy another SC and get together the pieces to do the motor swap. If I find an automatic car, are there more problems installing the 5 spd.? I plan to use either the crate motor c/w 5 spd. from Ford Racing or find a late model (2001-2004) Mustang Cobra drive train, or any better suggestions? 5.4L ??
Any motor / trans. mount ckonversion kits, wiring harnesses available??
Please e-mail me at [email protected]
Any info greatly appreciated.
Blair

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I would think that physically getting the thing in would be no big deal, but your wiring is gonna be a nightmare. You'd basically want the whole wiring harness and EEC for whatever engine you get, which might rule out a Cobra drivetrain. Unless I'm wrong, Cobras have transponder ignition keys, without which the engine will not start. You'd probably be better off (and have more money) to get a Mark VIII engine and bolt a T-45 to it. The hardest part would be the electronics, then the other problem you'd have is setting up the tranny, with clutch pedals and whatnot.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
The transponder key should not be a problem, all you would have to do is get the key for that particular computer, with the chip in it, along with the lockset for the ignition...the 97 MN12 used the wierd plastickey ignition lock that is identical to what they're putting in mustangs anyway, so I really don't see why this should be a problem. Plus, the PATS key thing could probably be overcome with a little tweaking to the EEC.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
that makes no sense at all... buy a 96/97 4.6L with lo miles and enjoy life with clean hands and newer accessories ... Keep the SC cars as is please... theyre a part of history, and do command a decent dollar as is original... PITA to stick a modular into a bird with no harness / tranny for it... looking for more performance buy a 93 or earlier 5.0 h/o. and get some real power cheap... if you really wanna go outside the box, a 5.4 in a 94-95 can be a do able challenge, as long as ya dont mind a goofy hood due height issues, and wanna work on it for years figuring out whats gonna work on it, just for the sake of tinkering and experimenting with verry little support.... Your call, good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts