TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i think my engine threw a rod or something of that sort. So starting very soon I'm going to dlo a teardown of the engine to figure out what is wrong with it. My question is where can I get a set of rods if thats whats wrong. And if they're a little different in size what do I need to correct it?????

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
Might be easier to find a low mileage replacement.

Just a thought.

Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to have the satisfaction of saying to all the chevy guys in shop that my I fixed my 15yr old bird, and it still hasn't blown a tranny like you 5yr old chebby. Plus its a good learning experience

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
:rofl: one word: chilton's

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the haynes equivilent. yeah im gonna use it and the help of my uncle.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
If you end up needing a set of rods, a crank, etc., just send me an email at [email protected] with your zip code for shipped prices. I have plenty of 3.8L parts here in the shop.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
No offense Rod but can also go with SuperSix, Morana or Redlined .
Though honestly I also suggest a low mileage engine based solely on cost.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Get a shop manual. More information than you ever cared to know about your car.

A little expensive at around $100; but considering it's about the size of a phone book, it's an invaluable replacement for the Hayne's book.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
sage,

If you are just going to rebuild your 6, line up the parts before you start. Rod is a good source. If you want to look closer to home, try www.car-part.com for specific parts. One thing you'll need is a "master" gasket set. I haven't checked Advances price for a 91 V6, but I'll guess is is about $150, but will include ALL the gaskets. Some gaskets you can not get outside of a complete kit like this, and the complete kit is way cheaper than buying individual kits.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE MULTILAYER HEAD GASKETS and the latest revision of them.

Also, have the heads checked. You might want to be sure and have your block decked and the heads milled.

One other thing. If you have time, gasket match your intake and exhaust ports. You'll find a little extra kick and MPGs when you are done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at morana but he didn't have any rods. I think its a rod my uncle(retired ford master mechanic) thinks its a connector rod for the piston. Which I'll probably get from morana for harder ones. and I'll definantly come to you Rod for any parts if I can't find anything better. i really don't need to pay extra expense (ie shipping) unless the product is ultimately better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts