TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi it's really hot up here right now and i'm using the AC for the first time.i'm usually a 2w60 kinda guy.i've noticed the temp gauge rides at about 200 instead of the normal 180ish with the AC on.when i turn it off the temp goes down.is this normal?i haven't owned a car with AC before and was hoping that this was normal.thx in advance for the reply's.

·
Registered
102 Posts
sounds like a normal situation, you are putting more load on the engine when the AC Compressor is engaged.

you may be able to lower it somewhat, you try cleaning out the fins in the Condensor and Radiator.

Compressed air works good

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
That is normal to a point. Mine runs cooler with the AC on since the cooling fan is always on high, BUT where I live if my car doesn't reach 210 degrees within 5 minutes of driving, it must be the the coldest day of the year.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is normal to a point. Mine runs cooler with the AC on since the cooling fan is always on high, BUT where I live if my car doesn't reach 210 degrees within 5 minutes of driving, it must be the the coldest day of the year.
lol, ok thx for the info fella's. i'll get the compressed air since i've had the car for 3 years and haven't ever done this...

·
Registered
42 Posts
my 94 gets hot with the a/c on. On level ground it will stay right in the middle of the temp gauge with the a/c on. If i start climbing even the slightest hill the temp gauge keeps climbling and goes just past the M on the temp gauge. Also i have noticed in the morning or on cold day the temp gauge barely makes it to the N on the gauge this cant be right

·
Registered
510 Posts
The reason that it is running hotter is because the AC condenser gets hot, too hot to touch the high pressure AC line that enters the condenser. Since the condenser is in front of the radiator, it will pull hot air over it, raising the engine temp.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
my 94 gets hot with the a/c on. On level ground it will stay right in the middle of the temp gauge with the a/c on. If i start climbing even the slightest hill the temp gauge keeps climbling and goes just past the M on the temp gauge. Also i have noticed in the morning or on cold day the temp gauge barely makes it to the N on the gauge this cant be right
You're thermostat might be stuck open and is due to be replaced.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't care where you live if your getting above 180 there's something wrong. Even when it gets 105 out here I never see my temp above the middle of the gage.

·
Registered
139 Posts
hmmm,
my car in memphis has been almost pegged out in this 105-107 temp outside! of course over the 2 years ive had the car ive never cleaned the radiator,flushed it,changed tranny fluid...may i should eh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts