TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so for the past week ive noticed when im in traffic or whne i have the ac on my temp goes up pretty quick. i also noticed that my radiator fluid disappears slowly but i always keep it topped off. when i turn off my car i smell radiator fluid and also when i give it gas around 1,000 - 1,500 rpm the throttle is really jittery. i dunno if its the head gasket or not because the radiator fluid isnt brownish and the oil isnt milky. so im tryin to narrow it down to what it is. help!

·
Registered
607 Posts
This could be early sighns of headgasket failure.
Do a compression check and post back with the results.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
also, check under your car for coolant leaks. sometimes a leak in the radiator will be so small that only when the car has been driven for awhile will the hole open (heat makes metal expand). hopefully it's just a radiator or hose leak of somekind. if you smell it inside the car, your talking about a new heater core.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im comming to assume its the thermostat cause when i popped the hood to drain my radiator, the top radiator hose looked like it was about to pop. i was gona replace that before but what i wanna kno is which one should i get? 180?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
unless you can get a tune, dont get a 180. it just causes problems so i'm told. yeah, it never hurts to change your thermostat. never. i would advise you test the thermostat before installing it though (boil in water with a thermometer to check at what point it opens). i would also inspect that upper radiator hose too to make sure it hasn't been weakened to the point of bursting in a couple weeks by all that pressure.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually i was planning on tryin to find a metal pipe to replace it. do you know where i can get one?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
why would you need a metal pipe to replace it? you could get some bendable flex tube from summit but thats just dressup. just go and replace it with the oem hose.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill chck that out thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
before you get any further you should do this first. turn your car on and let it warm up, cranking the heat, and watch your temp gauge. The fan motor should kick on upon warming of the engine. If not; shut it off immediately and purchase a new fan motor before restarting ($100) to save engine failure later on. The new fan motor fits directly into your original housing. Changing the thermometer would help too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts