TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a parts car that needs to be stripped down and turned into a pile of parts.

I know Ford puts the engines in by setting the car down on top of it, but that may not be an option for us since we don't have hoists etc.
We do have a large steel bar that might be able to withstand the weight of the car being lifted, but I have to wonder how well that would work.

For those of you with the real world experience of engine removal from these cars I'd like to know the best way to get it out, and what kinds of trouble you ran into along the way.

Where do you start? what could be removed from the car to make it as light as possible so we could lift the front up and pull the engine and trans out the bottom.

I'm searching around here, but I haven't found anything yet that deals with the actual removal process of the engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you have to do it on the ground, pull the engine and trans separately. Pull the engine from the top and support the transmission with a jackstand. Remove the crossmember and put a floor jack under the transmission and pull it from under the car. The drive shaft will slip off as you pull it out. If you're pulling the 4.6, it's no bargain. I did it on my Cougar and every bolt was frozen. Took me 3 days to get the motor out. Pulling the 3.8 isn't as bad. I managed to get that out of my bird in 4 hours.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read somewhere here in passing, that removing the engine with the transmission attached was easier because it helped keep the engine tilted so it would come out from the top easier.

I know when I get in there, there is going to be so many things in the way that will make it harder than it should be.

is it only 4 bolts that hold the engine to the K member? what needs to be disconnected or removed before the engine will come out?

same for the trans, how do you get all the bolts from the bell housing when the trans is still on the car?

I'm just really lost on this one, I've never removed an engine before, so I'm pretty much totally in the dark here.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
It's fairly easy to get the engine out, if bolts aren't a problem.

Yank the radiator, it helps. Also the wiper tray by the windshield.

There are holes in the side of the heads for pulling the engine; 2x 12mmX25mm long per side. I made a set of plates from 1/4" steel to hook to; a load leveler on the cherry picker helps get it loose from the tranny.

Watch the hood latch as you go across it; it's fairly easy to catch. :rolleyes:

It comes right out if you do it correctly, lol.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I removed the V6 and trans at the same time, out the top. There should only be 2 bolts holding the engine to the k-member, the mount bolts. Other than that, it is just wires that need to be disconnected. Will you be leaving the accessories on the engine while you pull it? Taking everything off the front of the engine may make it easier. Remove the rad as stated and unbolt the hood latch plate to get the latch out of the way. I actually had the rear of the car up on ramps and the front on the ground to help with the removal angle. A load leveler is a must when doing the engine and trans at the same time. OH make sure that EVERYTHING is disconnected from the trans before removing it. I forgot the shifter cable and bent the bracket.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It comes right out if you do it correctly, lol.
thats always the way isn't it :)

Should the trans be disconnected or should they be removed as a set??

So what I need to do is remove all the obvious stuff thats in the way, and disconnect the wiring??

Then remove the motor mount bolts? (4??), tranny mount bolts, and cross member?

it should come out then?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
there is no right or wrong way per say, concerning whether or not you should yank out the trans along with the engine.......you're making this harder than this has to be....remove every accessory attached to the engine.....undo the motor mount bolts (4 that go into the sides of the block)....the only thing you can leave hooked up are the exhaust manifolds, as its almost impossible to get to all the bolts with the engine sitting in the car.....use some chains and the bolts from the alternator to have one go from the inside of the valley on the rear of the block (in other words the same hole for the top trans bolt, but from the engine side)...and yank that sucker out

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I probably am making it more complicated than it needs to be, I've never done it before, but thanks for the breakdown, I might start working on it tomorrow if I can.

I figure i'll just try and keep the trans on, the extra weight should help keep the engine tilted for easier removal(or so I read)

The intake manifold needs to be removed right? I'm pretty sure every engine removal I've seen has the intake manifold off.

are there any 4.6 specific plans for an engine stand around here? I'd like to be able to start the engine on the stand.

I'm gonna go search.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Remove the two bolts that go from the motor mount to the subframe remove the nuts that hold in the trans cross member, yank it from the top with a leveler with the radiator removed and wiper assembly removed. Don't be suprised if the steering shaft has to be disconnected. I also had the ac compressor and ps pump out of the way. I used the alternator lower mounts and top trans mounts to attach my leveler. Just pulled out my first 4.6 dohc on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I pulled my motor not that long ago and I was going to leave my trans connected and pull it as one, but ended up pulling the trans out first. I cant say for sure if one way or the other would have been easier, but as it turned out I had no problems pulling it in 2 pieces and thats on the floor of a garage no lift. Someone said it above, load leveler and pull the wiper cowling off so it doesnt get damaged and it's not an issue. Also I dont know if anyone else ran into this issue, but on my car I had to get a power steering pump pulley removal tool in order to get the power steering lines off before the motor could come out, just an FYI and something to be on the lookout for. Good luck

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
are you keeping any of the parts? or is it all going to scrap?

just hook the damn cherry picker up, undo the bolts, and whatever wire and hose thats atatched, will come off.....simple.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are you keeping any of the parts? or is it all going to scrap?

just hook the damn cherry picker up, undo the bolts, and whatever wire and hose thats atatched, will come off.....simple.
I'm keeping everything that I can. basically only the body is going to scrap, and maybe a few other parts.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's friggin amazing, thanks.

Should be enough to help me get the engine out.

It might take longer than expected, there are some family issues right now which have a much higher priority.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
If you have specific questions feel free to message me.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
or me.... it's fresh in my head.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not yet :)

I might start working on this soon, but my mom just passed away yesterday, so removing the engine from my parts car kinda fell down the list of priorities a bit.

I'll get to it, I need to do something other than mourn, and I think it would be good for my dad to work together with me on this.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
not yet :)

I might start working on this soon, but my mom just passed away yesterday, so removing the engine from my parts car kinda fell down the list of priorities a bit.

I'll get to it, I need to do something other than mourn, and I think it would be good for my dad to work together with me on this.
My condolences, GRNDPNDR...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks man, she's in a better place now, and not in any more pain. Life goes on, and she sure as hell wouldn't want us just sitting around on our asses not doing anything.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If memory serves Lil Mikey used the hoist to lift the chassis off the K member with the motor & tranny still attached. Then used a jack and the front suspension to roll everything out.

Seemed fairly simple to me...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts