TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I was driving today and noticed my engine was making a strange whine sound that i had never heard until today. The attached video will explain.

The drivablity is not affected, drives just the same as it did before the noise. I would just really like to know what exactly it is!

View My Video

if that dosnt work, try this..

http://tinypic.com/r/f41fd1/3

As you can see the alternator is fairly new so i dont think that would be a suspect.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Negative.

The power steering pump has its own whine thats been there for years, and that whine gets louder as i turn the wheel.

The whine in the video gets louder upon acceleration.

Thanks for the quick reply though!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That really narrows it down! lol

So what kinda tests should i do to find out which one?

To add, the sound does not change if the AC is on or off. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just use a 1/2 inch ratchet. The tensioner is easy to move and a breaker bar may put you at awkward/unusable angles to swing it.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
while you're at it, just go ahead and replace the tensioner pulley, the idler pulley, and the water pump as well.......two new pulley's will run you about $40, and a low-mileage like-new water pump w/pulley from a newer 03/04ish 2V can be had for around $35 shipped if you look around on the right forums

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i spin the idler pully and it gargled like the bearings where dirty, but not the sound i was hearing. Didnt have the chance to spin the others because my engine was far too hot.

I sprayed the idler pully with wd40 and the sound really hasnt been noticed. So maybe its the idler pully. I will have to doo some more research when the engine cools :)

Thanks for the help so far guys!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I have a never used WP :) 35 shipped to my home state !!

gm I have no clue

while it would make a decent replacement, the newer version with the closed vane impeller are a better choice since they are readily available from production 2V engines (also need the different WP pulley)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well i spin the idler pully and it gargled like the bearings where dirty, but not the sound i was hearing. Didnt have the chance to spin the others because my engine was far too hot.

I sprayed the idler pully with wd40 and the sound really hasnt been noticed. So maybe its the idler pully. I will have to doo some more research when the engine cools :)

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Change both pulleys if they are stock, they can fail and leave you stranded.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
Change both pulleys if they are stock, they can fail and leave you stranded.
x2. They're cheap and real easy to replace, it's the same pulley for both the idler and tensioner. If your sound doesn't go away, I might suggest a/c pulley bearings. Not much else it could be!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
try spraying each pully with WD-40 until the whine goes away. worth a shot and it cost a can of WD-40

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
Be careful with the WD40 method though. It doesn't exactly inhibit or discourage bearing wear. If it's squealing that probably means your bearings are dead anyway, so get a replacement on ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
Be careful with the WD40 method though.
Terminator is correct; if you sprayed WD40 into the bearings, replace the idler. It will fail, fairly soon. it will sieze and burn the belt thru in a heartbeat.

WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant. It will wash out any lubricant that was there.

I found this out the hard way, years ago, and an older tech explained it to me...

"Clean it out with WD, but relube it with the right lube. Grease and oil are lube..."

I use a syringe full of grease for things like this. (no sharps, obviously!)

These pulley are cheap enough to replace outright, tho.

Good Luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts