TCCoA Forums banner

Engine

640 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  XR7IST 
#1 ·
i'M EXPERIENCING SOME TROUBLE WITH MY 1995 COUGAR. IT'S AN AWESOME RIDE THAT I PLAN ON HOLDING ONTO HOWEVER I'D LIKE HELP TROUBLESHOOTING A COMPREHENSIVE VIBRATING/HARSHNESS. I BELIEVE IT'S TIMING BECAUSE CHANGING GEARS CAUSES IT TO BUCK AS WELL AS MAKE A NOISE WHILE DECELERATING OR SLIGHTLY ACCELERATING... WHAT IS IT?!?

#4 ·
sounds like a possible torque converter shudder, not uncommon in the 94-97 4r70w's, especially the 94-95's. You should change your tranny fluid and filter and fill it with Mercon V fluid. Even if that doesnt fix the problem it's a good idea to do this as it will prolong your tranny life. Mkae sure you not only drop the tranny pan, but also remove the little rubber door to the converter and drain that too.
-Thomas

#7 ·
XR7IST said:
I'll change the fluid even though it should be fresh from a drive shaft replacement. WHO KNOWS...

thank you.

tranny fluid has absolutely nothing to do with the driveshaft...of maybe its jsut my tranny in my car...hmm? :)

Drain TC, and pan. Install new filter and fill up with mercon v.

As for the rumble...does it idle strangely? if thats the problem the IAC could be shot. Also the MAF could need cleaned/replaced. Are there any CEL's? or Service engine soon lights on? It would also help to describe the "rumble" your car has...try to be as descriptive as possibal, and maybe we can help you more.

#12 ·
you dont have to make all these new posts in a row. just edit your previous post and type away.

back to tech. where did you add seafoam (not seasoft)? your maf is located at the end of your intake tube near the fender. its a black plastic squarish piece. unplug the connector and remove the two torx bit screws and carefully pull up on the sensor. spray down the tiny wires with electrical contact cleaner.

could the noise you hear possibly be the heat shields on the cats? get a buddy to stand outside your car and rev it a few times, and listen for where the sound is coming from.

#14 ·
could also be a sticky injector, usually seafoam clears it up, but if it doesnt and it is a lifter tick, you'll need to remove the upper and lower intake manifold along with the valve cover (whichever side the lifter is on) and a new lifter from ford is like 6-10 dollars, but you should replace them all at the same time.
-Thomas

#15 · (Edited)
As far as the yoke goes, it doesn't concern me as much as lifters, seeing how it would have been replaced if damaged. On the other hand, I'm starting to understand much more about my car and I appreciate everyone's comments. I'll definetly have to replace the lifters. Could anything become damaged if I don't? If so please let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.