TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, another reason why I love this forum, there are lots of engineers/ engineering majors out here. I was wondering, I know the job market isn't good for engineers right now. But for those that have have graduated already, were you able to find employment pre-graduation with a company under the notion that you would in turn, work for that company once you earned your degree?

What I'm saying is, in a few months I am going to be moving to SW PA to attend U-pitt. I kind of fell into it, but ever since I've been maybe 17 or so, I have been working in Logistics. I have a few years experience in it but not enough to get hired as a manager right off the bat for a company. Which means that if I got hired for another company, I would more than likely have to start at the bottom again. I would like to get a job that actually uses some of this education that I have been paying for for the last 2 years. Something that will at least allow me to get by on my own and pay living expenses once I move. I can likely get loans for tuition, so I'm not worried about that. What I make now in Logistics barely affords me enough to get by with the small bills I have now, and I don't even live on my own yet. But it's still the best paying job I've ever had so far (I make like 13.00 per hour, which isn't stellar for NJ) Anyone here know of any fields that can make use of 2 years (so far) of pre-engineering courses that will at least bring in $800.00 per month (take home) and does not require a degree yet? Even if it's doing pet projects, or just like a trainee position.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The engineering market, like other jobs and the economy goes up and down

its down now but by the time i'm out and probably when your out they'll be hiring like mad!!!!

Most enginnering companies i've herd of hire for co-ops or interns, the most i've herd them paying is 14 per hour, and if your going to shcool its not even a 40 hour week period. I haven't herd of anything larger for that in engineering without a degree.

that's my advice, and as a student of WVU i have to say EAT **** PITT!!!!! (but beat tech first) :D

oh yah, what engineering are ya lookin into??

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh, I know someone who lives in Mo-town also. I'll tell him to keep an eye out for yer . . .:D. Tho he's going for advertising, so you'd prolly never run into him. I'm looking into Civil Engineering. The bad thing is, where I live, I KNOW there could be a good job waiting for me when I'm out (nothing but $*$&^ty roads and bridges in need of R&R around here), but I want to get out of here bad. Right now, 14.00 per hour doen't sound too bad. I'm pretty sure living expenses are better out there. I put in a 33 hour week now. So I'm close to being full time work and school. I would work fulltime if didn't have to drive 1 hour to get there and back. So if I hustled, I could probably do a 40 hour week. Thanks for the reply:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
At $13.00 per hour working 33 hours a week, you should easily be making well over $800 a month unless the taxes there are outrageous. Since you're in civil engineering, you should have some experience with Autocad or other graphic design software which can get you a pretty decent job at any architecture firm.

Kenny

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, I lose about $100.00 per week to taxes. It's not that I'm not making over $800.00 per month now, but for what I pay in living expenses here, $800.00 per month in SW pennsylvania should cover me once I get my car insurance (I won't even print how much that is, NJ sucks), cell phone, etc transferred out there. Hmm, I do have some experience with AutoCad as I had to become familiar with it for my physics lab (that was my first encounter with the program though).

·
Registered
51 Posts
All I can say is "Get Your License".

Take the FE exam as soon as you graduate or just before graduation if possible. In your field you need the paper for anyone to take you seriously, at least tell people that your PE is top priority.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Check out the stats from Mississippi States Co-Op Program. In the engineering field those guys are starting at $1200 a month and going up to $5000 with the average being around $2000. :headbang: And let me tell you the cost of living in Mississippi is nothing.

So go find a good school that offers a good Co-Op program and your golden. You could practicaly just work Co-Op and save all your money and be abel to just go to school during the semesters when your at school.

I've got about one more year before I can go to state and get in the Co-Op program and I can't wait.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Co-ops are good in all but i wouldn't do more than two at the most

if you think about it, thats just that much more time that you don't have an actual job. or you could be making a lot more money in 2 years, instead of mediocre money for 4

in the end it helps out more if you just go straight through school, and maybe get a coop or internship or during the summer just for experience, any more and your wasting your time.

tony

·
Registered
460 Posts
I see what you are saying, but if you go and line it up so that you are Co-Oping in the summer what are you losing? Plus you would be making more than $800 a month.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Ok, since I have been out in the working world a couple years now, I will share my thoughts.

1. Civil Engineering right now is probably the easiest area of engineering to get a job in. Unfortunately it is also about the least paying.

2. Internships/Co-op's are very important. You will struggle to get a job without one. You are probably best off getting one each of your last two years, possibly with the same company, possibly not.

3. Take the FE, as you never know where your career path will take you, but only like 5% of engineers ever actually get their liscense. If you get into civil engineering, it can be helpful. It is also important if you want to do any type of consulting work. Otherwise, it is not needed for most jobs in the private sector.

4. Your first job will most likely suck, so just take what you can get. You really need experience to get the good jobs, no matter how smart you are.

I hope this helps. Oh, and don't plan on working full time and going to school full time in a good engineering program. Unless you are one of those blessed few that absorbs knowledge very quickly, doesn't care about having a life, doesn't need to sleep, and works very fast, it just doesn't work. I consider myself to be just about all of those, and I could still only work about 25 hours a week. Take the loans, especially if you can get subsidized ones. My interest rate is only 3.75%, and you should have plenty of $$$ to pay them once you get settled into a good job.

John

·
Registered
90 Posts
GreenBird said:
Engineering is the #2 paying degree (on average), just behind Computers..
Dude, computers are part of engineering, but they are among the highest paying engineering degrees. But computer jobs requiring only associate's or technical degrees aren't usually going to pay as well as even the lower paying engineering fields.

Kenny

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the advice,

Yeah my brother was recently hired as a computer network engineer. He got bad grades all throughout highschool and never went to college, but was into computers pretty much all of his life. He took a two year degree program at a local tech school and landed a good job as soon as he came out. If only it were that easy:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
living expenses suck. i do deliveries for dominos and make 5.25 an hour and between 20 and 30 dollars usually every night in tips. i work three nights a week, i have a townhouse near campus, i have to pay for gas, i have to pay utilities (all are divided four ways between my roommates and i), rent is 345 a month per person, my car insurance is 500 every six months, my cell phone is about 55 bucks a month, food, gotta go have fun and all too.. luckily there are student loans.

but my plan is if the job market sucks when i graduate, im just going to get a higher degree. i figure itll be worth it to do that if it looks like im going to spend a lot of time trying to get a job that is relatively low pay.

oh, im studying mechanical engineering, its my freshman year at grand valley state. -greg

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think my biggest regret is studying abroad in Australia instead of getting an internship. Probably as a result, I've been looking for a job since I graduated in May. I hate living at home knowing I could be out there doing a fantastic job for some lucky company.
I would also suggest taking your FE exam, it's way easier to pass when you've got fresh knowledge. Not many, if any of my classmates studied for the test, and only one person ever has failed it. And he was drunk. Professionals a few years out pay hundreds and spend weeks cramming to pass this test. Yes, it's an 8 hour test, but it's not all that bad. Just do well on the morning part, the afternoon is hell.
Michael

1 - 15 of 15 Posts