TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

This thread will be to document all phases of the transmission rebuild. I have a VERY BAD heavy foot that I cannot get rid of so I'm attempting to build something that won't break on me. I don't do neutral drops or reverse slams.

I need to know though, what should I be doing to make my transmission bullet proof. I'm looking at the eBay ones (99+ Mustang GT with Converters) or one that JL was talking about.

I sat in her today for the first time in two weeks and revved up the engine, poor neighbors I'm sure they hate my gutted catalytic converters...

<s>Stage I - Buy Transmission Cooler (B&M Hi-Tek 24,000 GVW)</s> - DONE
Stage II - Buy Transmission Mounts
Stage III - Buy Transmission Fluid & Filter
Stage IV - Buy Transmission
<s>Stage V - Rent Tow Service</s> - AAA Plus Membership - Free Towing
Stage VI - Buy Flex-Plate
Stage VII - Go on base and put her in!

Pictures & Documentation are to follow of the transmission cooler installation once it comes in the mail. If anyone has any special requests for the install (like HUGE high-resolution pictures or something of that nature) then ask now.

Thanks,
Eric M. Pelezo

·
8,239 Posts
bulkpart.com sells the rubber solid mount, and I think they sell filters also. If not then call dan for the filter, its like a 10 dollar item. I buy a couple at a time, because I replace them every 20k with the fluid change. You will also NEED a magnefine inline filter unless you are replacing the radiator. Bulkpart has those also.

Best thing to do with the cooler is just buy a good tube bender, and get some 3/8ths tubing and run hardline all the way from the trans to the cooler and back. Its not tough at all, and its much much cheaper than SS lines.

I would buy a new mlps and tcc solinoid for a 95 tbird also, i don't like to use used stuff.

Good time to upgrade the converter also if your budget will allow. A new mach1 converter is the item for a budget. Dan sells that, and has the flexplate you need, and new flexplate bolts.

Shoot me a pm if you want me to keep an eye out for a new vic trans.

JH

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright,

27923 I believe is the parts number for the filter, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't see the inline filter on there.

As for the solid mounts I was going to get them from MN12 Performance.

I'm going to go with the lines instead of hard tubing. My step mom’s transmission cooler in her BMW has hard lines and a rock hit it and caused it to overheat and need a new transmission.

What's the spec's on the new converter? Keep in mind this will be a street beast and will be my daily driver so anything I do has to be within reach of a good daily driver too.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I assume the car needs to be towed from somewhere, thus the tow chains? If so, a word of advice DON'T USE CHAINS. If a chain should happen to snap, you don't want to be ANYWHERE near it. Years ago, my grandfather was almost killed by a chain when it broke and went throuth his windshield and rear window on his truck. You want something like this .

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah,

I didn't mean chains. I would use a tow bar except Pete insists that we can get her up there without a tow bar.

Thanks,
Eric M. Pelezo

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Yeah, but by the time you rent a towbar or pay for a tow truck, you could have already bought a tow rope many times over. Plus, you can always use it again later if something else goes wrong. A tow rope is the way to go.

Pete

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just worried I'll rip my front bumper off, but since you'll be driving my car I won't mind lol.

·
8,239 Posts
rent a drive on uhaul trailer and hook it up to your truck.

Chains and tow ropes are ghetto and unsafe.

Either that or use your AAA membership to get it towed on a flatbed. If its not too far, you can sign up for a AAA membership for 40 bucks and have it towed as soon as a week later.

JH

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really,

Where is this AAA? I'll probbaly sign up for it, it'll save some gas that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoops,

Sadly I was being serious. Where is the Triple A website?

Is it worth it? How far will they tow your car?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heard of it,

But never knew what it was for...

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back on track!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know why but I just felt like letting everyone know that I'm using a tow strap! Go me!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright,

I bought a AAA Plus membership so now I'm able to get it towed anywhere I want up to 100 miles I believe.

Next up, fluid, filter, and probbaly mounts!

- Pelezo

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If you tow it with the back wheels on the ground make sure it ain't far and not over 30 mph. I saw an trans smoked in 10 miles on the highway like that. The 4x4 shifter wasn't in nuetral on the towed vehicle. Even if you aren't saving the old transmission it might be valuable as a core.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's going to be on a flatbed.

- Pelezo

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BAM, sold the last hard drive, check the signature!

- Pelezo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts