TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yall as some of you know im not riding on Air... i have spring struts.. well as long as i have had the car its had a slight squeak to it which some of you and people from TCCOA have attributed to thats springs they sqeak a bit..(( i hear almsot every little thing that might be outta place when the music isnt up that is)) ok so i get to RMWC about 300miles of driving... and the squeak is pronouce and is a deep creak... like when i turn the car off and push down on the Front fenders it has a ERRRRRKK sound to it... anybody got answers?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Sounds like bushings going bad on it. Not sure which ones without putting it up on a hoist though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
While springs and bushings may squeak......A bad lower ball joint makes a deep creaking sound. Kinda like a big ol' heavy door opening.....If it's bad ball joints it could be a death trap......either yourself or the unfortunate soul driving near you when one gives out. Check it out...

Eric
 

·
Faster than Porkchop
Joined
·
2,037 Posts
Kind of sucks when your going 50 and all of a sudden bang(feel's like you lost a tire) where you stop is where you get picked up and towed from.This was in my old Iroc that I used to own .

I want to replace mine , I dont want it to happen a gain .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Well........glad ya made it back.:)

You could go another 200 miles........or maybe 2?

When I was hearing bad creaking from my front end I suspected bad balljoints. To diagnose for certain I poked a small hole in the boot surrounding the balljoint and pumped some oil in it and the creaking stopped....I replaced my upper and lower control arm assemblies and all is good.

Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
It definitely sounds like a balljoint or control arm bushing needs to be replaced. I wouldn't wait. Put the front end up on jackstands and wiggle the wheel to look for play. If nothing shows up, then jack up the lower control arm until it's at about ride height (to unload the ball joint). Then try the wiggle again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,726 Posts
Best case it is bushings, worst case it is ball joints.

Bushings are noisy and if they totally fail, stuff stays together, you limp it home.

Ball joints break and the spindle is no longer attached at the top or the bottom, bad things happen and happen fast. Be it in a parking lot low speed turn or squeezing that last 5 mph going over expansion joints in a hard corner.
 

·
Hittin' Switches
Joined
·
1,484 Posts
Bangster said:
Best case it is bushings, worst case it is ball joints.

Bushings are noisy and if they totally fail, stuff stays together, you limp it home.

Ball joints break and the spindle is no longer attached at the top or the bottom, bad things happen and happen fast. Be it in a parking lot low speed turn or squeezing that last 5 mph going over expansion joints in a hard corner.
my cv joints went out on me one time, luckily i was only going about 30. if you on the interstate, lord help you.
the whole front of my car slammed to the ground and scraped to a stop.

not fun at all.
 

·
Hittin' Switches
Joined
·
1,484 Posts
punisher12b said:
OK so what if the sqeuak and creak from me pushing on the fender has gone down to almost nothting now?????

mine did that right before my cv joints went out. im serious, get it checked out asap, its nothin to joke around with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
Well, no CV joints on the front end of these cars. But ball joints, yes. The CV joints are in the rear where the driven wheels are.

Anyway, it's really impossible to tell you what is wrong based on vague descriptions of a noise we can't hear. You really have to put the car on jackstands and inspect it yourself, or take it to a shop and just ask them to give it the once-over. If your inspection is coming due anyway, maybe you can take it in early.
 

·
Hittin' Switches
Joined
·
1,484 Posts
S_Mazza said:
Well, no CV joints on the front end of these cars. But ball joints, yes. The CV joints are in the rear where the driven wheels are.

Anyway, it's really impossible to tell you what is wrong based on vague descriptions of a noise we can't hear. You really have to put the car on jackstands and inspect it yourself, or take it to a shop and just ask them to give it the once-over. If your inspection is coming due anyway, maybe you can take it in early.

then my ball joints went out... all i know is my old tbird had that description,then a couple weeks later im driving down the road and the front end falls to the ground... not good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
I had that problem with my 1990 bird and I finally looked into it and one of the swaybar links was completly gone! Dont know how it maneged to completly come off but a new one fixed my problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,407 Posts
musto said:
then my ball joints went out... all i know is my old tbird had that description,then a couple weeks later im driving down the road and the front end falls to the ground... not good.
Might of been your upper ball joint or control arm assy.Mine were bad last summer and it felt like the car was gonna fall apart.
Good time's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Take a close look at your upper and lower ball joints. Also the stabilizer endlinks. The strut bar bushings are hard to diagnose while installed. Mine looked O.K., but I replaced them anyway (thank God). Look at the picture below. This is after 180k miles. I'm glad I finally fixed everything (except now I have to work on the rear end bushings). The car drives quieter than my 2003 Taurus with only 60k miles. I still have to get it lined up (I made adjustment marks) someday. The tech at the shop says I need a couple of rear bushings before he can align it. He said the numbers up front were within factory specs as I had it anyway, so I'm not in a big hurry.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top