TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
5,650 Posts
There are only two hoses to the EVAP canister. The one that has the 90* into the topof the canister (leftmost in the above picture) goes to the gas tank. The other hose coming off the canister goes into the gold solenoid, then it leaves there and does a 180* turn into the black purge flow sensor, and from the purge flow sensor it leaves into the engine bay (that hoses is the skinny one in the back in the above picture).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
There are only two hoses to the EVAP canister. The one that has the 90* into the topof the canister (leftmost in the above picture) goes to the gas tank. The other hose coming off the canister goes into the gold solenoid, then it leaves there and does a 180* turn into the black purge flow sensor, and from the purge flow sensor it leaves into the engine bay (that hoses is the skinny one in the back in the above picture).
But, if you look at the top of the vapor canister, there a 2 big holes and one small one - what are the 2 big holes for?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Can anyone tell me where the EVAP canister/set up is located on a 1996 ?
It should be located in the passenger-side inner fender, behind the inner fender liner and forward of the wheel/tire (just behind the headlamp assembly). The best way to get at it is to remove the inner fender liner and the tube for the air intake.

Dennis

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
One extra note on this:

For the vacuum line that runs up through the engine bay and into the intake manifold, you will find a few more rubber couplers between the hard lines. Those rubber hoses become deteriorated just as the hoses on the frame rail do.
I replaced all of them along with the solenoid and sensor and I haven't had a CEL in years.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is it possible if somebody can give me the part #'s to all three of the parts that are required for this repair. I am getting the same code 1443. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
What is that blue tubing/hose whatever it is in the pics of the purge solenoid/canister? Where do you get it normally?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I got the P1433 code, I had felt the car was holding RPMs longer (usually when I have a vac leak it does that). So I'm thinking it's most likely one of the hoses rather than the solenoid or valve itself. I was wondering if I could access this without opening the passenger fender well cover. I have my air box hole cut out larger and my resonator removed (supercharging it soon) and would it be possible to access it from there? I think it would be.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,963 Posts
Give it a shot!

Joe

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got the P1433 code, I had felt the car was holding RPMs longer (usually when I have a vac leak it does that). So I'm thinking it's most likely one of the hoses rather than the solenoid or valve itself. I was wondering if I could access this without opening the passenger fender well cover. I have my air box hole cut out larger and my resonator removed (supercharging it soon) and would it be possible to access it from there? I think it would be.
I think you'd just be creating more work for yourself in the long run. I just got done restoring the evap system on mine. Take the wheel off, 3 clips, 3-4 screws, pull out the liner, and you have as good access as you're gonna get! All in all I replaced the sensor,tested and cleaned up the solenoid, and replaced every piece of soft line from the canister to the engine. CE light is gone, and mpg seems to have went up a bit! Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gonna revive this one for a second. I have this issue with my 96 3.8L. Would those part numbers be the same for my engine as compared to the 4.6L? I did the vacuum lines before, so it's got to be the sensor or solenoid, I'll probably just replace both.

Purge Flow Sensor: F57Z-14A606-BA, Standard Motor CP416
Purge Solenoid: E6ZZ-9C915-A, Standard Motor CP403
EVAP Canister: E5TZ-9D653-A/Motorcraft CX1118 (3.8L), E2VY-9D653-A/Motorcraft CX691 (4.6L)

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,963 Posts
Purge Flow Sensor: F57Z-14A606-BA Yes

Purge Solenoid: E6ZZ-9C915-A Yes

EVAP Canister: E5TZ-9D653-A Discontinued part

NOS Parts LTD. has one in stock.

More than likely it's just the Purge Flow Sensor or the Purge Solenoid. I swapped those out and all the vacuum lines connected to it, even under the hood.

Joe

Reactions: Grog6

·
Super Moderator
12,212 Posts
Some things to add: If you're looking for these in the jy, they will be detached from the cannister, laying in the bumper cover,attached only by the wiring. The one between the pieces is bigger on one end than the other; I put one piece inside the other; as long as theres no backfiring or a blower/turbo, it will stay together without glue.
To get two hands on this, you have to remove said bumper cover; I used one hand on most, but I had the bumper cover off of the tbird.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts