TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out yesterday night, it was cold, and I wanted heat so I just put it in 1st, and drove out of my neighbourhood in first gear to get some high revs and build heat.

I reach a small straight away just before leaving the neighbourhood and hitting main roads and decide I'm gonna drop the hammer and go....so I do.

Still in first gear, the rpms jump, and I start flying, (Road is empty, no danger to anyone but me trust me) then the RPMs drop like it shifted gears... I didn't think anything of it until I let off the gas to slow down, then it down shifted to first and nearly slammed my head into the wheel.

I had no idea that even when your only in first gear it would still shift to second, presumably when the RPMs hit the limiter or something.

Is this actually normal?

On another note, different subject, if your in your car,(96 cougar, or bird I guess to) and your doors are locked, are you able to just pull the handle and open the door from the inside even when it's locked?

I noticed this by accident....i've never tried to open my door from the inside before when it's been locked... I wasn't expecting it to open.

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
Yes, it is normal. It's part of a "safety" feature in the PCM's program that prevents the engine from being over-revved. All it does is put the transmission in 1st (or 2nd, if you choose) gear if the vehicle speed will permit; if you're going 60 MPH and throw it in 1st, it won't downshift into 1st because it would be some crazy high RPM. As soon as the vehicle speed is within a tolerable range, it will put it into the requested gear.

And yes, you can unlock the doors by pulling the inside door handle.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
On another note, different subject, if your in your car,(96 cougar, or bird I guess to) and your doors are locked, are you able to just pull the handle and open the door from the inside even when it's locked?

I noticed this by accident....i've never tried to open my door from the inside before when it's been locked... I wasn't expecting it to open.
yes, that is normal on all Fords.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is normal. It's part of a "safety" feature in the PCM's program that prevents the engine from being over-revved. All it does is put the transmission in 1st (or 2nd, if you choose) gear if the vehicle speed will permit; if you're going 60 MPH and throw it in 1st, it won't downshift into 1st because it would be some crazy high RPM. As soon as the vehicle speed is within a tolerable range, it will put it into the requested gear.

And yes, you can unlock the doors by pulling the inside door handle.

I knew it wouldn't downshift if your going to fast, you can be doing 100 drop it into first and it won't even downshift to second until you reach a certain speed...and so on. I didn't know it worked the other way around too.

a year of ownership and i just now find this stuff out lol.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
VMM? Are you talking about the 89-93 thing on the top? I am interested in this. Also, I think my Contour wouldnt open the doors from the inside when locked. If it wasnt that car it was definitely some ford since I thought they all worked that way and was kinda shocked to find out it didnt.
-Rob

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the FSM explains the downshifting and what speeds it will downshift at. I don't recall it saying anything about upshifting when in first, anyway like i said above, it all makes sense, computer controlled stuff to prevent damage.

What's the VMM?? I'm betting I already know but I can't think of it right now. And how did you find out it has full diagnostics? what can be done with that info?....digital dash functionality maybe?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Then you are unfamiliar with how the MN12 is programmed.
You are right - I am but did own 2 of them 90 SC / 92 LX 5.0

The only one I got to play with in true form was the LX and OD was blown but still driveable. I used it as my winter car. The 90 SC was a project car that didn't run and buy the time I got around to droping in a new engine I lost storage and had to sell it to one of the members here on the board. I regret it some times, but hte guy scored on the deal.

I wish I could of kept the 90 seeing it was fully loaded w/ sunroof but I had to let her go. :(

Had a the entire engine with SC and all the piping to go with it .... I had too many cars and not enough time or money at the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts