TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 4.6 Bird has been having coolant /temp issues since last Summer. I want to do a DIY "Flush" so I bought the little Prestone Flush kit. My confusion comes in here: The heater hoses are just barely visible at the rear of the engine and I am not sure which one I need to slice and insert the "T" fitting into for the flush procedure. Has anyone ever done one of these and have any advice?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I've never used the prestone back flush kit although I bought one...I just pull the cap off the 8A080 and undo the drain valve on the radiator, drain it, flush the system with water, close radiator, fill with antifreeze, start car, allow to get to operating temp with cap off overflow, to purge the system of air, replace cap, top off coolant level if necessary, drive it, never a problem

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
U need to replace the radiator flushing is the biggest waste

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I wouldn't cut into the heater hoses, they're really short and have lots of bends, I think you would have a hard time making the T-fitting fit well.

I bought some Prestone flush and new coolant earlier in the year. In the end I decided to just do a drain and refill. It's a lot of screwing around with the flush chemical, and I had no cooling problems anyway.

Considering you're having problems, I'd look at possible reasons such as the rad like RobertP mentioned. A flush won't necessarily be a cheap fix for your problem. Do some diagnosis and see what needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, ive never really been a fan of those flush kits... they leak. and if you leave them in their perm, they are kind of brittle and will crack and leave you stranded...

just stick the hose in the reservoir, open the petcock, let her run with the heat on till clean water comes out. then try to get as much of the hosepipe water out before you fill up with fresh coolant/distilled water mix.

what i would do though... is after the hosepipe, drain as much as you can, throw in a bottle of Prestone's Clean, and distilled water. run her on that for a week or so, then drain everything and flush with distilled one more time. fill her up with good stuff and be on your way. just make sure your in a warm climate >.> winters coming, and you don't want your block to freeze.

beware though, sometimes after a cleaning on an aging system, you may have water pump, heater core, radiator, filter adapter gasket, or hose failure... especially if this system has been neglected for a lot of miles >.>

if you haven't replaced said components already, now would be the time to at least change your hoses, adapter gasket, and the pump. maybe even the radiator if its full of corrosion... heater core.... "shudder" just hope its ok, otherwise your in for a fun weekend...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts