TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off,

Hello from a new member.

Here's my problem. I've got a 90 3.8 n/a with high the famous high idle problem.

I just picked up this car and I'm getting it ready for daily use, So I did an oil change, new plugs/wires/cap and rotor, and a new coil.

it was running really rough when I picked it up, that's why i decided to do all the maint. that I've done so far.

I even pulled the EGR and the IAC and cleaned them as well as the upper plenum.

When I finished the upper plenum I painted it and put it back on the car and used new gaskets for everything.

when I started the car, it still idled rough...blew black smoke horrible and fouled my new plugs...multiple cursewords and a beer or two later, my friend comes in and tells me the MAP sensor vacuum line is not connected.

I go and look, sure enough it's not connected, and there's nowhere to connect it.

ARGH!!! Well I go to NAPA and get a "T" and cut the top vacuum line on the intake and fit the "T" in between the cut line and the MAP sensor. I put the cleaned up plugs back in the car, replaced the wires and fired it up.

Much smoother running and no black smoke, it just idles really high. I unplugged the IAC, no change, I unplugged the TPS and it made no difference.

I'm at a lose

Any Ideas guys??

Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
yea definitely get a new IAC and try it out, same problem with mine.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Did you read any codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NOPE on the IAC

Well guys the IAC is NOT the problem.

I replaced the IAC and fired the car up and I have the exact same problem. HIGH IDLE.

I unplugged the IAC while the car was running and it just kept on running so i plugged it back in.

I then unplugged the TPS and still no changes whatsoever. I plugged it back in as well.

I even unplugged the MAP sensor, no help. The only time it will idle down is if I take the vacuum line OFF of the MAP sensor, but then the idle is rough.

Any one have an idea as to what's going on with this car or should i call a priest for an Exorcism??

Truly baffled now :confused:

·
5,650 Posts
Double check everything for vacuum leaks. Spray WD-40 around all fittings and the intake manifold gasket surfaces just to be sure. If the idle changes in any way, you've got a leak.

I've experienced a faulty TPS that caused a high idle. Usually when you unplug the TPS, the idle shoots up anyway. See if you can find out what the TPS voltage is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Help Me, Help Me Lord

Well Guys,

I've replaced the IAC, the TPS, the MAP sensor and I STILL have the dang problem.

I set the TPS to .998 volts at idle and I even tried to set the timing down, bad move the exhaust manifolds started to glow red.

I removed the upper plenum again and checked ALL of the vacuum hoses for leaks and even replaced a few for good measure, and all new gaskets AGAIN!!!

Has anyone got any idea what in the world is going on with this car???

I'm going nuts here :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check your codes like the previous poster said. It'll at least lead you in the right direction.

Make sure you remove the spout connector before changing your timing!!!!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Ok where did you buy all of the sensors? Do you have a MAF or MAS sensor. Try that MAP sensor also. That could also be it. You need to get the codes pulled.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
This is all great info, but did YOU READ THE CODES? Go to a parts store and get the codes read!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If they don't go get the codes read, there is really no since geussing. I had the same experience with my 93'. Just going by what I had to replace.
I'm also thinking ECM maybe faulty. Not real sure on that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts