TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is the PI intake? How does it affect performance?

Does anyone know the 1/4 mile time or a 0 to 60 time for a T-Bird with the Cobra motor in it??? (4.6L DOHC S'Charged I believe w/ 390 horses yes?)

Just curious!

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
PI stands for Performance Improved. The different design of the PI intake can increase performance by about 17hp at the wheels! It's a great cheap mod to look into. And I know you're probably wondering if it's easy or difficult so I'd say for an average guy who's new to cars, to start with some other little things first and get the basic knowledge of your motor before jumping on the PI intake. It's not really that big of a project but I know I would have been lost if I did it when I was new to cars. Having a buddy with you would help greatly also.

My guess for the cobra motor would be mid 13's

-Thomas

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
you forget the cobra is lighter and has shorter gears, and most have a manual tranny.

I would say mid 13s...if your trans didn't die on the way to the track. The stock trans needs some serious attention before i would put an 03 cobra motor in front of it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The cobra does have a 6-speed, but it only has 3.55 gears. It has a 2.97 first gear and we have a 2.85. There is a little bit of difference, but with the amount of torque that the supercharged engine produces it will pretty much make up for it. About the weight thing, I have been reading sigs of people with 2003/4 cobras and their car (not convertibles) weigh in at 3800+ with driver. That is the same thing that my car weighs in at with me in it. Assuming the tranny was built to handle the extra power I would second high-12's with street tires and mid/low-12's with slicks. Considering that you would be running 112 or so through the 1/4, with good traction (easier said than done) low 12's would be easy. I guess we shall see soon enough b/c I have heard of two people that are doing the swap.:D

Russell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts