TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wanted to install a set of mechanical cable exhaust cut out for my exhaust. especially for track set up. does anyone have these installed and are they worth the money to install???

·
Registered
316 Posts
i wanted a set of electronic cutouts

those seem fine if you using them for race track purposes, instead of scarring people next to you at the light, then going back to normal when the cops show up.

id do it if it werent like $300 for each electric cut out, plus install.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Merlon said:
those seem fine if you using them for race track purposes, instead of scarring people next to you at the light, then going back to normal when the cops show up.

id do it if it werent like $300 for each electric cut out, plus install.

I wanted electrics but they want to friggin much for em, guess ill be going cable operated too.

A thought: Technically you may be able to run the cables into the cabin, then you can pop em open to show off :D or race at the track.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
warmaster259 said:
I wanted electrics but they want to friggin much for em, guess ill be going cable operated too..
im thinking that the cables will serve the same purpose as the electric minus the added weight of switches, relays, wires. not that it would make that much of a difference.

but the mechanical should be fairly easy to install., just a few welds and GTG

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yeah i also thought about them, but they only have them in 2'' at summit, and i have 2 1/4'' duals...Also i have heard a downfalll with the mechanical cut outs...people seem to have a constant slight exhaust leak because of the little flap not shutting all the way. I have talked to 2 guys with old 30 something chevy coupes...Electric in my book would be the way to go but like you guys said the price is killer

·
Registered
645 Posts
A friend of mine has a set of the electric cut outs, that he uses for track purposes, on his lt1 camaro and they work and sound really good. My dad ran the cable operated cut outs on a 68 mustang he had a long time ago and they worked for a while, then they rusted/carboned up and wouldn't open anymore plus they leaked a little when closed. I guess it's just another one of those you get what you pay for deals.
IMO if you want a cheap and effective cut out you oughta think about block off plates with wingnuts. You do have to get out to remove them but they work well.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BIG-53026FLT&N=700+4294923429+4294920534+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Those Race-Readies...what's up with the 4 dark-colored gaskets?? I would imagine the lighter (2) would be for the block-off plates...but the other 4??

·
Registered
773 Posts
I made a set of air powered cutouts fer the Chero. used gate valves and machined the bonnet to aceept bimba air cylinders. Sound great and open and close fast unlike the electric ones.

Merlon said:
instead of scarring people next to you at the light, then going back to normal when the cops show up.
More fun to get ones walking down the side of the road. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts