TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PYPES catted X-pipe and catback with PYPES Race Pro mufflers($40 extra) on my '99 mustang. Drone at 2krpm is annoying. I have used Dynomax muffflers in the past and though I remember that they were a bit loud I do not remember drone. Can some of you please list what mufflers you have and their loudness and drone if it is there and if anyone has eliminated drone please share that info?
www.broaderperformance.com lists the flow of a dozen mufflers and some that are common are:
1. Dynomax Super Turbo-268cfm and $40. each.
2. Magnaflow 2 chamber-249cfm, not sure of cost-no interest as I have heard that these are known for drone.
3. Borla Turbo-373cfm but a little pricy at $111.
4. Hooker Aero Chamber-324cfm
5. Hooker Max Flow-521cfm, both models of Hookers sell for $60. at Summit.
I added silencing tips to my system but the drone is still there. I do not see room to add a glasspack as I have done with other vehicles to soften the drone so it will have be done with muflers and I need feedback on what mufflers are not overly loud and do not have drone. Mustang Forum is not very mature as a group so I am hoping the maturity of this forum will be able to offer some info that is tangible. Many Mustang owners are looking for the LOUDEST most obnoxious exhaust possible and yet they knock rice. Thanks, mark

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Well, where do your exhaust pipes exit? I remember reading somewhere that having them exit slightly past the rear bumper will eliminate some drone.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
might want to look into the bassani xhaust stuff. I worked on a GT yesterday that had a catted bassani X and catback. It had a deep burbly sound without being to loud and minimal drone as i could tell. but that kit does come at a price

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Stay away from any sort of Chambered or race specific muffler if you're trying to avoid drone Mac, Flowmaster, etc. They may be quiet at idle, but they're brutal at highway speeds. I went with a set of Magnaflows on my set up. Strait through mufflers are often much quieter on the highway by comparison. Both Magnaflow and Bassani's can be bought in the strait through design. There are probably a few others out there, but they're escaping my memory at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts