TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to get to booger. Is it 1 - 1/16? Sounds odd since everything else has been metric.

I saw this tip.

Tightening the EGR tube at the header is the hardest to do... no room to swing an open end wrench. I suggest a sacrificial 12 point box end wrench with a section removed ala a tubing wrench.

That sounds like a good idea!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hard to get to booger. Is it 1 - 1/16? Sounds odd since everything else has been metric.

I saw this tip.

Tightening the EGR tube at the header is the hardest to do... no room to swing an open end wrench. I suggest a sacrificial 12 point box end wrench with a section removed ala a tubing wrench.

That sounds like a good idea!
Don't bother with that bolt unless you have a torch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
measuring the engine side coupling it comes to between 1.06 to just shy of 1.07 on my cheapy calibers. Now using my advanced mathematical skills 1-1/16 = 1.0625 and 1.0625 in metric is 26.9875. I believe 27mm is the appropriate size and in my frustrating search I did find one guy saying that is what he used.

This was going swimmingly until I got to the exhaust. So far I have the two 18mm nuts off the drivers side, 1 19mm nut off the passenger side. Getting to the egr nut and the 2nd nut on the passengers side looks fun. Appears I will have to take the sensor off to get to that second passenger nut. Why 18mm on one side and 19mm on the other?

Does appear dropping the midpipe is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
measuring the engine side coupling it comes to between 1.06 to just shy of 1.07 on my cheapy calibers. Now using my advanced mathematical skills 1-1/16 = 1.0625 and 1.0625 in metric is 26.9875. I believe 27mm is the appropriate size and in my frustrating search I did find one guy saying that is what he used.

This was going swimmingly until I got to the exhaust. So far I have the two 18mm nuts off the drivers side, 1 19mm nut off the passenger side. Getting to the egr nut and the 2nd nut on the passengers side looks fun. Appears I will have to take the sensor off to get to that second passenger nut. Why 18mm on one side and 19mm on the other?

Does appear dropping the midpipe is the way to go.
Well my 1 1/16 wrench fit on it, I checked. That big open end wrench will fit from the top of the car and may give you just enuf movement to break it and get it off. I got adjustable wrenches on there too, there is barely enuf room. Problem is it wont budge, too lazy to get out the torch.

The other option is dropping the cats.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it whipped and yes dropping the exhaust is the only option really. Once you could get to it piece of cake.

I think my beef about 18mm on driver and 19mm on passenger was false. On the passenger it just looks like the nuts had been severely abused before and the 18 wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That thing is a pita, I was able to get it off at least twice in the past but this last time it would not budge, I had a small torch from home depot but I don't' think it was hot enough. I ended up just cutting the damn thing off had the header welded shut and then did an EGR delete to avoid it. I drive under 5,000 mi a year in PA so it's exempt from emissions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tried that stuff and every other lubricant I could think of, the only way that nut was coming off was if I cut it off, if I ever have to remove the cap I had welded shut that's what I'll do but I didn't want to risk cutting into the threads.

However that stuff did work well on my buddy's frozen O2 sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts