TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search but for some reason came up with zip. For those of you who have a 1989-1991 V6 N/A Thunderbird.... what did you do with your exhaust? I had to replace my muffler due to a leak so I just added a cheap Thrush muffler I picked up at Advance. It sound's pretty deep. I would like to run '96 manifolds with SCP down tubes with high flow cats to a 2 1/2" exhaust that would exit right behind the rear wheels. I would be running SLP or Borla mufflers. No resinator. I'm sure it's going to be raspy no matter what I do haha. Any idea's? I can't find any good pics of exhaust setups on '89 to '93 V6 N/A's.

·
Administrator
8,113 Posts
Most of the pictures I've seen here are on V8 Cars, but you get the idea.

The 96-97 tubular manifolds will work, also look into 94-95 SC manifolds if you can find them. People have shown they flow the best.

Can't speak for the mufflers, sounds like you're looking for a little rumble in your thunder! Without a resonator I think it might be a little raspy! :eek: 2 1/2 might be a little much for a V6, 2 1/4 might be better.

Side Exhaust picture I borrowed!

Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
The 89 - 91 cars have the weird gas tanks and exhaust routing can be a pain...have you considered going to the later (92+) gas tank?

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
The 89 - 91 cars have the weird gas tanks and exhaust routing can be a pain...have you considered going to the later (92+) gas tank?
One limit that's worth remembering - the 92+ tanks are 1 gallon less than the 89-91 tanks are.

OTOH, I'd rather have the straighter run of exhaust personally.

Just a note ...

RwP

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exhaust

I might change the gas tank... I almost did that with my last SC. My '91 is a daily driver though so I'm not sure if I want to do that or not. I do want to put on ported manifolds. I would like to spend most of my money on my '89 SC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My V6 was a '94 but I ran a setup with a Flowmaster 80 mounted behind the rear axle and dual 2.5"pipes exiting behind wheels. That really wasn't a great sound and that setup was replaced with a dual Flowmaster 40 setup out the back, 2.5". Resonator removed for both setups. The dual 40s made the most difference in performance and sound.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had flowmasters on my '90 SC and thought it sounded nice...was a little raspy sometimes. I have a cheap Thrush muffler on my '91 3.8 bird right now and I still can't believe how good it sounds. Hope to put a 5.0 in her one day but right now I'm working on getting my '89 SC on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts