TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into true duals for a while, but dont have the money. I was wondering if i were to remove my 3rd cat, resonator, and switch my mufflers what kind of gains i could make. I would still have the same size pipes, but would the removal of my cat and resonator relieve enough backpressure to do any good?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry bout the exhaust question, I know there are soo much but i just wanted to make sure

·
Registered
159 Posts
They say 10-15hp gain with a catback system. Catback system will run you $300-350. I know the resonator is really restrictive and removing it should help alot.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well i am trying to think what is cheaper and the gains i will make. I am a bit uneasy getting a flowmaster catback system because i have heard that they rott and dont look good unless you have the sc ground effects in the back, i think i read somewhere that dynomax makes a catback, i cant find my jegs, but i aslo read that dynomax mufflers were very quiet. I was thinking if i were to get flowmaster mufflers keep my pipes and remove my resonator and 3rd cat it would be comparable to a catback system. I could be making absolutely no sence so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I have no experience with either kit, but I think the reason they rust is because they're at the back. If you don drive long periods at a time, they dont get hot enough to evaporate the water in the exhaust. I had no problems with my flowmaster mounted midbody on my 3.8...its still on there (diff owner), and no rust for 2yrs.

The dynomax kit is pretty quiet at idle, but sounds mean when you get on it. If you removed the resonator and 3rd cat, i think it would be quite a bit louder...

I may be way off...jmo

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will the dynomax rust just like the flowmaster, im looking online and it dosent say that the kit is stainless. How wide are the pipes on the catback packages, it also dosent list this at jegs

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I noticed a slight difference with the dual exhuast... however... after doing a chip, exhaust and underdrive pulleys... after dynoing.. i realize it wasn't much of gain... nothing like all hte manufacturer's said you'd get.. however the sound of the exhaust is super cool...

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've had both FLowmaster and Dynomax, Dynamox rusted out at the hangers in less than two years, my FLowmaster kit is on for over 2 years with no rust at all. But here's the deal, the dynomax was on my 1994 3.8L which I drive during winters, and the flowmaster is on the one that gets stored, so it is an unfair comparison, flowmaster does sound better.

removing resonator might help a little, removing the cat might help a little more, even changing out mufflers might help a little, changing pipes will help more. the bottom line is Don't expect huge gains if your intake is still restrictive, maybe 5-10rwhp tops. Depending on what mufflers you use, you're exhaust would most likely be louder.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
KewlBird said:
I've had both FLowmaster and Dynomax, Dynamox rusted out at the hangers in less than two years, my FLowmaster kit is on for over 2 years with no rust at all. But here's the deal, the dynomax was on my 1994 3.8L which I drive during winters, and the flowmaster is on the one that gets stored, so it is an unfair comparison, flowmaster does sound better.

removing resonator might help a little, removing the cat might help a little more, even changing out mufflers might help a little, changing pipes will help more. the bottom line is Don't expect huge gains if your intake is still restrictive, maybe 5-10rwhp tops. Depending on what mufflers you use, you're exhaust would most likely be louder.
Flowmaster and Dynomax are both good, Dynomax's are quiet until under full throttle and you don't get the nasty resonance at 1800 or so rpms that Flow's do.

It's totally a personal preference. My first set of super turbos from Dynomax lasted 6 years. I replaced them this year (from 97)

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Will3799 said:
I have been looking into true duals for a while, but dont have the money. I was wondering if i were to remove my 3rd cat, resonator, and switch my mufflers what kind of gains i could make. I would still have the same size pipes, but would the removal of my cat and resonator relieve enough backpressure to do any good?
I decided to look for a catback system for my '97 Sport - especially after swapping cylinder heads. I bought the Dynomax catback system from Jegs for $175 plus shipping ($25 rebate). I had it installed, and other than being a little noisier than stock, I felt absolutely no difference. After a month or so, I decided to get a "true dual" exhaust done. Read about that here.

If you are financially constrained, the catback is kind of a waste of money. The pipe is a little bigger than stock, but the cork in the system (3rd cat) remains. Get rid of it and you will find more hp and better sound.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the imput, i think i might just swap the resonator and 3rd cat for pipe and spend my money elsewhere. Of course i might completly change my mind and wait for true duals. Thanks for the help/

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Will3799 said:
will the dynomax rust just like the flowmaster, im looking online and it dosent say that the kit is stainless.
I think the main pipe is 2.5" mandrel, and after the Y they are either 2" or 2.25"

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think the dynomax is all 2.5' and not mandrel bent. I used my dynomax mufflers with my Art true duals and they clamped right up. I have the old exhaust system in my garage and the catback is not mandrel bent. The dynomax are quieter then the flowmasters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts