TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pull the left downpipe on the '04 Police Interceptor. Is there a gasket or donut at the manifold side? When I got the H-pipe gasket at Advance, they didn't show a part number at the manifold.

The cat is rattling, AGAIN! I may try the trick of drilling and putting a couple of long screws in it. I have a feeling that it may be tough to get all the pieces out, since there isn't a totally straight shot at the back of the cat.

Thanks for any tips,
Al

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
No gaskets at the manifold, only after the cat. Also on every one of these I have done, the bolts after the cat break, so have a set of bolts and nuts ready for it. Also when those bolts break, the left over piece might be hard to get out, so if it is, use a cut-off wheel to cut a small slit in the flange, which will release the pressure on the bolt and the broken piece will come out easily. Also, if the cat is rattling, it is only a matter of time before it breaks apart and clogs up, so I would replace it. Magnaflow makes a direct fit replacement cat, which is about $300 on summit racing. I have used this on several customer's cars, and it bolts right in place, and I have not had any fail on me.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolts have these nuts with a built in "tab" so you don't have to hold it with a wrench. I guess I will have to replace them with hardware store bolts.

This car literally eats catalytic converters on the driver's side. We bought it with 10k miles and a rattling cat. I had both sides replaced with good Walker aftermarket cats. One lasted about 8 months, and it's replacement lasted about a year or so.

Never any CE light for the cat (knocks on wood), so if I don't have to, I am never putting another cat on the car. The car runs great otherwise. Tons of low end torque for a 4.6.

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
I haven't had much luck with the walker cats, that's why I suggested Magnaflow. I put a walker one in my grandmother's Grand Marquis, and 6 months later it was rattling again, so it got replaced with a Magnaflow, and that was about 2 years ago. My mother's Lincoln Town Car also got a new Magnaflow cat around a year and 20K miles ago, no problems. I have also installed the Magnaflow cats on at least 3 other customer's panther cars in the last 2 years with no comebacks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts