TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I currently have my mufflers removed, and it seems like I lost A LOT of torque.. I used to be able to spin the tires through 1st gear without power breaking.. just punchign it from the line.. now I can only chirp it. I want to do some exhaust, but I dont want to loose my low end power! I want to leave the 2 stock cats, remove the 3rd cat (theres no resonator) and get rid of that compression bend thing near the rear end... going to 2 40 series Flowmaster mufflers.. (Whats the best for DEEP sound?) I have 3 choices for mufflers, Flowmaster, Magnaflow?, or Borla. Out of these 3, which has the DEEPEST sound I can get? I also want to RAISE the HP and TQ, not lower it.. Any suggestions on the setup would be appreciated!!! (BTW, im putting my stock mufflers on and removing the 3rd cat and that bend.. for now untill I save up for my dream exhaust setup!) Thanks for anyones input!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
first of all, flowmasters flow like crap. i cant really comment on the sound of the other mufflers, but i know ive always liked the flowmaster sound.

it doesnt suprise me that you lost low end torque. i got that same feeling when i went put my true duals on the first time i did my exhaust. you should still have enough backpressure with your primary cats though. the loss in the low end would be made up for at the top end.

there are so many different setups you could go with, its really a matter of preference.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking this: the 2 stock cats, cut off the 3rd cat, and use 2 1/4" pipe, to a custom made H pipe, (True Dual), going out to the two mufflers. Think I would gain TQ and Hp wise? I almost lost to a 2001 Grand Am GT Ram Air last night! (we raced from about 10mph on, so I didnt get any start, and you all know how wide our 1st gear is...) So I was barley pulling.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i think you might lose some low-end but youll gain some mid-rang and high end torque as well as horsepower. the exhaust isnt the most restricted part of these cars so you wont notice a huge difference but you will notice some. you might want to try to get an X pipe in there somewhere too, that will help your low end.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks a bunch J rob! Ill go with your advice and use an X pipe.. sounds like a nice idea. As for the rest of the low end, ill just save to get some other modifications like 3.73's, shift kit + tranny cooler, Dennis chip w LMAF transfer function, and a 80mm LMAF =) That should help me feel more low end power, alond with feeling the power throughout the RPM range.. now the only trouble is Funds.. I hate being 17 and making 6 bucks per hour.. =( Thanks J rob!

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno, what would my engine speed be if I was going 75 MPH with 4.10's? I do a little highway... not much. but a little =)

·
Registered
130 Posts
tranny gears

FYI,
I believe this is the "Wide" gearing internally to the 4R70W:
First Gear 2.84:1

Second Gear 1.55:1

Third Gear 1:1

Fourth Gear 0.7:1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts