TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be replacing the stock three piece cat unit and resonator on my 95 LX 4.6

It will be replaced by a factory stock unit that I bought from a fellow TCCoA'er

Can anyone who has removed the cat unit chime in with what tools or tricks work?

Would it be worth it to buy new studs for the exhaust manifold?

May try and do this one myself, if it doesn't sound too bad.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I only did the third cat. We didn't touch the front two. And all that was required was a saws-all and welder. :leftright

Sorry I can’t help more. :(

One tip I would suggest though is a few soakings of penetrating fluid. Spray the bolts/studs and drive the car for a day or two, soak again, drive, soak, drive…. Etc. And I would have new studs/bolts available “just in case”. :eek:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have ordered new hardware from Dan Newman.

Just wondering if there was a certain combination of tools, or socket extensions that make the job go easier.

Haven't had much free time lately to go crawling underneath and scoping it out.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The nuts on the maicold studs are 5/8 inch. You have to disconnect your O'2 sensors. after you get those of you have to slide it back like four or five inches to get it off.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, what a major PIA !

Wonder why Ford didn't provide stainless steel studs/nuts.

Figured I give it a shot at removing the unit myself, so I jacked the car up onto jack stands, and crawled under to have a go at it.

Drivers side - easy access to nuts, one from above, one from below.

Passenger side - a little tight due to the position of the converter. Looks like o2 sensor has to come out first. Tried to remove the other nut, and snap goes the stud.

Oh well, drilled a pilot hole into it, tapped a 1/4-20 thread, and put a stainless steel screw into it, to hold it for now.

My opinion is that if your 3-cat unit has over 100,000 miles on it, and the studs appear very rusted, take it to the pro's.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think my exhaust system is still the original, and the pipes are in good shape, but the fasteners are a huge pain. I have broken two studs on separate occasions. The first was on a manifold, and we drilled it out and replaced it with a nut and bolt. The second was after the resonator. I was going to have a shop cut that off and put a bolt in, but they elected to just weld the joint instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts