TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 1995 SC 5 speed (Great car right?) Well, I'm at a loss here. My exhaust is already mess, now it's terrible I went to the exhaust shop to have them look at my cats. One of them was rattling. So we took the cats off, one was completely missing it's element and i think the big third cat was broken up also. They deleted the cats, put in straight pipe, those pipes Y into a single magnaflow cat (they put this in last to try and kill the buzz) after the magnaflow cat, it goes to a single 3 inch pipe, then to glasspack looking thing that was already installed when i bought it (like a resonator), then it Y's into two "turbo" mufflers with turn down tips at the bumper. At first it had flowmasters in place of the turbo mufflers, they told me if i replaced the flow's with turbo mufflers that it would fix the buzz also. So far it cost me 70$ to fix the cat issue, and then i spent 130$ on basically a wild goose chase. The exhaust sounds ok i guess, the biggest problem is at 2500rpm or so there's a buzz, while the motor goes through that RPM range. It sounds terrible, it's embarassing to even drive the car. Basically i believe the whole exhaust system from the headers back needs to be replaced, it's so hacked up. There isn't a piece of factory pipe left. It really just makes me sick, it's such a nice car. The exhaust has just ruined the experience, driveability.

What do i need to do, for an exhaust system. I'd like a little bit of "tone" but hell i'd even just take a "factory quiet" sound over that hideous buzz/resonation. I looked at SCP, but god i can't afford 750$ for a full exhaust system. There's gotta be some cheaper options?:(

I'll try and get a crude diagram made in paint, but i doubt it'll matter. I think you all will understand it's trash, and i don't think it's even worth dicking with anymore. I'll keep the mufflers they're brand new, maybe sell them or use them somewhere else. Please Help:confused:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One other thing, the muffler shop says it'll always sound like that if i dont have cats. Is this true? Even if i had some "grandma series" mufflers on it? Will i have to put a new set of cats?

·
Registered
93 Posts
After what I had done to my 96, I would get it as close to stock as you can with high flow items in place. Cats to resonator to mufflers. I put two high flow cats to a single pipe then to two high flow mufflers, and I can't stand the drone in the car at highway speeds. I have to take it back and have them install the resonator back in it. That will also eliminate most of the raspy rattle during acceleration. That is what I've been told. Hope this helps.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
well this is your chance to redo thr exhaust all over and get it done right my suggestion to you is do 2.5 inch true duels with flowmaster 40 series mufflers and high flow cats. that thing will pur with that.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i just dont think flowmasters are really what i'm looking for. I'd really rather have a slight tone or really just quiet.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
there are different flowmaster you can get quiet ones or loud ones from them just depends on how straight through you want it to be.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh, i know. I just don't want this raspy buzz tone EVER again, nothing even remotely close!. I'd rather err on the side of caution and have it TOO quiet, than i would to spend even MORE money and still be unhappy with it. Think along the lines of a factory type sound, maybe a bit louder.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
go to a junk yard then a grab a set of stock mufflers off a wrecked bird. would im sure be reasonably cheap

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
i think hooker max flows would d oa good job but ive never heard them on a 3.8 they sound good on the 4.0s

there probally the quietest strait thru muffler listen to how quiet this blown camaro is
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q5lN5ZoUmoQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q5lN5ZoUmoQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, how would it be with catless downpipes, a resonator or muffler midmounted, then two mufflers at the rear bumper? I'm thinking there has to be some quieter mufflers out there that'll bring the noise down. Suggestions on a resonator/muffler or the rear mufflers? Maybe something along the lines of a "quiet flo"

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i think hooker max flows would d oa good job but ive never heard them on a 3.8 they sound good on the 4.0s

there probally the quietest strait thru muffler listen to how quiet this blown camaro is
does that have a bypass valve on the exhaust? cause it starts of pretty rumbly then quiets down

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Is it absolutely critical that i add cats? Is there no way i can go catless and have a good sounding exhaust. Like i was saying earlier, i'd be ok if it sounded just like a factory SC maybe a little bit louder. I just can't deal with it the way it is now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
exhaust

Is it absolutely critical that i add cats? Is there no way i can go catless and have a good sounding exhaust. Like i was saying earlier, i'd be ok if it sounded just like a factory SC maybe a little bit louder. I just can't deal with it the way it is now.
u need the cats,(if u want to pass inspection,at least up here in ny) go with high flow cats.i did mine a few months ago but my flowmasters are loud when i get on them so i have that drone once i get on it.me.i like it but alot don't.magnaflows are quiet .....cost more and have the polished look but to each his own.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not even the drone i'm afraid of, it's ONLY that raspy buzz. If i went with quiet mufflers and a magnaflow center muffler would i be able to stay cat-less

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
you have to have cats, i think all states require them if im not mistaken.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
The exhaust shop is correct. Without cats, the 3.8 is going to sound like complete garbage no matter what else you do. Get a couple high-flow cats installed near where the factory cats were, and with the mid-mount and the turbo muffs out back, it should get rid of that swarm-of-bees-in-a-soda-can sound that the 3.8 likes to make.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dang, i was hoping somehow i could get away with just having 3 mufflers and leaving cats out of it. They add more to the price.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well, i'm wondering if i went with. Two High Flow Cats, Mid Mount Dual In/Single 3in out Magnaflow, into the mufflers that the exhaust shop already sold me
http://www.apexhaust.com/product_pages/xlerator_turbo.asp

What will it sound like? The mufflers now sound ok, other than the "metallic buzz" or are they trash? I kinda hate to get rid of them so soon, after spending money on them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts