TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 4.6L - I just replaced my valve cover gaskets (and grommets) and there appears to be exhaust leaking into my passenger side. Driver's side looks fine. I assumed this was a sign of bad valve seals. However I realized tonight that I have been hearing an exhaust leak on that side and assumed it was the manifold gaskets. So...would that sound be the exhaust leak from bad valves seals or do I potentially have coincidental issues?

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
It doesn't really work that way. The exhaust isn't under enough pressure to leak past the valve guide and seal. What did you actually see under the valve cover?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically carbon deposit. Dark and dry. Like you would see in exhaust. There was nothing like it on the driver's side.

It does have +200k miles on it...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No fault codes. I did have a fault code for low voltage on the DPFE for a while. But cleaning up the EGR system cleared that. PCV is good and Motorcraft. Replaced them fairly regularly. I've had the car for 18yrs and knew the original owner so I know its full maintenance record. I spoil it there since I am slightly abusive to it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts