TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took a few moments to try and track down the minor exhaust leak on the Cougar and I'm thinking it's coming from the driver's side cat. I was thinking about cutting off the heat shields to get a better idea, patching up the leak (it doesn't sound like a major leak), then reattaching the heat shields. I was wondering what might be the best way of sealing the leak. Would a high temperature epoxy hold up against the extreme heat? Or would I be better getting some sheet metal brazed onto it? The cat itself doesn't appear to be bad and with this being the 'beater' car I can't justify spending the money to buy a new cat and have it installed.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
If it is a small leak and it is actually on the cat, then it is probably just a pinhold and the best way to fix it is just to weld it. They do make something called muffler cement which will work for a while, but eventually it will dry out and crack off again. If it is too big a crack to weld, or if the metal is so rotted away that welding blows holes right through it, then replacing the cat might be the best solution.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
JB Weld

How does JB Weld hold up under extreme heat? :zdunno: Just an idea...

·
Super Moderator
9,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I googled it earlier and found someone mention they used it with good results on a muffler, but closer to the engine it cooked and produced a quite awful smell. I think I'll spare my nose the ailment...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Are the cats on these stainless? I would say that you should just do it right the first time and weld it. If it is only a small leak, then it should be easily welded. Just make sure to use the right welding wire/electrode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts