TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I stumbled across a 1990 Super Coupe Anniversary Edition with only 27'000 miles which I'm interested in buying. It's 100% original except for the radiator (aluminium) and the exhaust manifold was replaced by a fan-type exhaust pipe which I have no idea what that exactly means. Does that change sound & power of the engine in any way? Does it mean there was something seriously wrong, has anyone experience in that sort of thing? I want to go to check the car out in 3 weeks, so I will ask if the original parts are still around but I'm a bit confused why this would be changed if the car is 100% original otherwise...

Otherwise the seller says it's in 100% working order - except for the radio amplifier (how can that brake??). It has the original radio in it and was ordered with the JBL sound system.
No check engine light is on, also ARC doesn't blink.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,923 Posts
Gpt any pix?

·
Super Moderator
11,923 Posts
That looks like my dryer vent, lol.

Reactions: Wile E. Coyote Jr.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the picture of the actual engine I got. Exhaust manifold is not visible but one can clearly see that the radiator is not original plus someone was lazy with the spark plug cables... But maybe some of you experts see more than I do:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So does anyone know why someone would change the exhaust manifold? Is it a known ricer/tuning thing and gives more power and/or more noise? I would be sort of OK if it was for power but if it's for more noise wouldn't buy it then... not my thing and it can only mean trouble at the Swiss DMV (the car is in Germany and I would have to import it).
Also, is there any advantage or what's the point in swapping the factory radiator for an aluminium radiator?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Thats a 3 core aluminum rad, so an upgrade. The SCs like to over heat, and inturn blow head gaskets. So the rad shouldnt be a concern, more of a relief.

Without a photo of the manifold we probably cant help much. Saying its a "Fan Type" doesnt help anything because we dont know what that means.

Since its been exported I imagine parts are hard to find. So maybe the SC manifold went bad and they just replaced it with a V6 mustangs tubular manifold, or they made their own.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man, that's already great to know about the radiator. "Fan type" is what the translator said to what the seller called it, I haven't heard of it either. I will post a picture of it as soon as I have checked and driven the car. Maybe already next week I hope.

·
The Parts Guy
7,851 Posts
If you're dealing with a translation, maybe it isn't a "fan type exhaust manifold". My guess is that it would have headers on it.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Long tube headers would also be an upgrade. And a difficult one to do at that, as well as expensive. Itd help power, but would adjust the noise as well. I dont know how strict the Swiss are when it comes to that. We can get pretty loud over here in the states.

To put into perspective: my 96 V8 bird has long tube headers, no cats, no mufflers, and the exhaust dumps just behind the transmission. Vibrates the house every time I start it. Pops and bangs when I let of the gas driving. Police never mind.

But also the mufflers it has will make the most difference. A turbo muffler would probably be best for you if you need to keep it quiet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's very good info, thanks! I just made the appointment with the dealer, I'll be there on Monday, so I'll post pictures next week.

If I went on Swiss roads without cats or muffler, I wouldn't get far and could walk back home... 😄

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I went to have a look at it and I was blown away by everything about the car... only things not working is the passenger window (the button, from the driver's side it works) and the radio, which I hope is an easy fix but a bit puzzling as the original one is in it (with the JBL sound system). So I don't understand how this can be broken just like that. Otherwise the car is in immaculate shape, looks, feels and drives like new.

Only one downside (is it actually?), like said above it's all original apart from the radiator (the 3 core aluminum) and it's just not the exhaust manifold but it's the whole exhaust system which is a Flowmaster kit (probably already fit before the T-Bird was imported to Germany). So my questions about that:
  • Is that considered an upgrade or more like tuning/more hp (it sound pretty normal V6 to me, maybe a bit more throaty)?
  • Is it easy/expensive to convert back to original (are the parts available, I couldn't find it at rockauto for example)?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
If its on there and its not loud leave it. Yes its an upgrade. No switching back to stock will not be easy, especially over there. Flowmaster kits are long discontinued as well, so the fact that you have one is pretty cool.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,875 Posts
The radio issue could be taken care of, have you looked over at SCCoA? There's been discussions about the problem and there is someone that fixes the older radios, unless you want to replace it something newer and modern.

Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If its on there and its not loud leave it. Yes its an upgrade. No switching back to stock will not be easy, especially over there. Flowmaster kits are long discontinued as well, so the fact that you have one is pretty cool.
Thanks! Ok, you've convinced me... I'd prefer to have it original but one can't have everything in life. It's already fantastic that I might get an anniversary Super Coupe, so it will have flowmasters on it, what the hell... :eek:😄

This is it by the way:

The radio issue could be taken care of, have you looked over at SCCoA? There's been discussions about the problem and there is someone that fixes the older radios, unless you want to replace it something newer and modern.

Joe
No I haven't checked at SCCoA yet, thanks for the tip. The seller should have described the problem better, because the radio itself seems to work fine but there wasn't any signal. If I'd known I could have brought a cassette and see if the tape player works. Maybe it's just the antenna that isn't connected who knows... one can hope! I definitely want to keep the original radio if possible and upgrade it with bluetooth and/or DAB invisibly.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,875 Posts
The seller should have described the problem better, because the radio itself seems to work fine but there wasn't any signal.
I think one of our audio gurus here might have some ideas! (y)

Joe

·
Registered
1994 Black T-Bird 4.6 DOHC TR-3650
121 Posts
Very nice car ! Congrats !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts