TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have the stock setup i believe
stock manifold to the y pipe with 2 cats and then the 3rd where it joins and no mufflers

if i change the exaust manifold to a mid length or long style would i need complete new piping

or if i get some shorty headers would it work with what i have

and i have another question after my cats its nothing but pipe i have no mufflers
my father says i need mufflers and he wants me to get one of those square mufflers for the middle of the pipe but wouldnt some muffler exauhst tips do the same thing

i really dont think you need them

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Only one company makes headers worth having on theses cars they are mid length they require modification of the exhaust cats and back, it's easier just to redo the who damn thing at that point the factory pipe is smaller then the collector anyway.

There are no long tubes that fit the 4.6 thunderbird without steering shaft modifications, a hammer, welder, cut off wheel, and a lot of time/patience.

JBA and SS Autochrome both offer direct fit shorties that replace the factory manifolds with no other modifications but they aren't worth much if any performance gains, they are over priced, and they are known for cracking at the collectors on number 4 primary tubes on the passenger side.

Another option to consider would be having your factory cast iron exhaust manifolds ported and ceramic coated by Preston at braincoating. He offers mild and wild port jobs and coating options.

Regardless of what you choose grab some Percy's dead soft copper gaskets and stage 8 locking header bolts along with a decent set of highflow cats, from that back along with the header/manifold of your choice any decent exhaust shop should be able to fab you up a nice true dual exhaust system or check out mandrel bends exhaust kits for the tbirds.

Hope this was helpful. Anything else try searching the exhaust forum.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are those mid lengths the kooks

would getting a ported stock shorty be around the same in performance

which would be cheaper and which more gains

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
The kooks offer more gain at a premium, ported manifolds offer some gain but its less expensive.

unless you have a supercharger or built up engine the kooks isn't worth it

Instead look at your ball joints and bushings and ensure your car is running in tip top form before you blow dough on a 10 hp up grade. Do a PI intake swap and tune, youll make more power.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dunno about for the 4.6 but I do know that for the 3.8 sc the 94/95 stock exhaust manifolds when ported will outperform the kooks mid-length headers by a substantual amt. Something to look into... Just my .02

·
Registered
570 Posts
I dunno about for the 4.6 but I do know that for the 3.8 sc the 94/95 stock exhaust manifolds when ported will outperform the kooks mid-length headers by a substantual amt. Something to look into... Just my .02
Uh, based on what? That hasn't been my experience.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Only one company makes headers worth having on theses cars they are mid length they require modification of the exhaust cats and back, it's easier just to redo the who damn thing at that point the factory pipe is smaller then the collector anyway.

There are no long tubes that fit the 4.6 thunderbird without steering shaft modifications, a hammer, welder, cut off wheel, and a lot of time/patience.

JBA and SS Autochrome both offer direct fit shorties that replace the factory manifolds with no other modifications but they aren't worth much if any performance gains, they are over priced, and they are known for cracking at the collectors on number 4 primary tubes on the passenger side.

Another option to consider would be having your factory cast iron exhaust manifolds ported and ceramic coated by Preston at braincoating. He offers mild and wild port jobs and coating options.

Regardless of what you choose grab some Percy's dead soft copper gaskets and stage 8 locking header bolts along with a decent set of highflow cats, from that back along with the header/manifold of your choice any decent exhaust shop should be able to fab you up a nice true dual exhaust system or check out mandrel bends exhaust kits for the tbirds.

Hope this was helpful. Anything else try searching the exhaust forum.

Now that's what I call an informative answer! Well said....well written.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
The 3/4 length KOOKS I had on my 97 were made for the mn12 body cars. Very different from the mustangs because of the strut towers. I loved my KOOKS, fit perfect and I fabed up 3 different exhaust systems to them. They are quite expensive but if you have the money and really want to do it right for hp gains, they are the way to go.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Those probably won't work without modifying the steering shaft, the drivers side header, or both.

·
Registered
893 Posts
so are there no shorty headers out there the JBA ones are junk the SS auto ones are junk. what about the ford racing shortys? or should i just quit my *****in and just get a pair of 96/97 exhaust manifolds ported?
Answer is in bold. Are you needing any extra flow? How modified is the engine? And no... a CAI does not count.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts