TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you take these off a 1994 Thunderbird to put on some shorty headers? Seems like there is no room to get to the bolts.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Engine hoist,or remove the lower crossmember.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the shop had to plasma cut mine...pain in the ass to get too

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
it can be donw without lowering the frame or pulling the motor but you will have unbolt the motor mounts and raise the motor with a jack an inch to gain access to some of the bolts. My .02 waste of time for a header thats not much better than the stock manifolds.

·
Registered
158 Posts
when i had to put the new set of npi heads in my 95 due to blown valve seals my stock manifolds were in pretty bad shape due to my grandfather living in maryland (rusted badly). the bolts just busted off with the air gun to get them off. I snagged a set of stock manifolds from a 99 mustang gt long tube swap for free and bought an off road H pipe for a 99+ gt.

I'm in the process of putting these true duals together right now. the manifolds bolted right up with no clearance issues. the H pipe seems to bolt up close. I do expect to do a little bit of fabrication. I haven't had much time to put it all together but when all is said and done i'm setting two 1 chamber flowmaster mufflers dumped near the axle. from the looks of everything ill have to change the h pipe hooks and weld them so they will fit into the stock location of the Y pipe. and if i dont bump out the floor panel int he back seat area i will probably lose a couple inches of ground clearance, but i live on paved flat country roads and i'll never lower the car. Upon measure I most likely will still have enough clearance to fit a coke can under.

once i get a chance to actually finish it ill try to snap some pics. should sound good too as i did this same set up on a 98 gt and it sounded wicked good.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The Mustang manifold fit on your car ok? I didn't think the Mustang manifolds or headers would fit without modification.

Joe

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Mustang manifold fit on your car ok? I didn't think the Mustang manifolds or headers would fit without modification.

Joe
the manifolds bolt right in. passenger side is snug though. but no rubbing. I did have to lift the motor out of the car a few inches to get it all the way in.

i did figure out, which i wish i knew before, the off road H pipe for 99+ stangs will bolt almost directly up to the stock tbird manifolds. the drivers side bolts up. but to get the passenger side up you'll need a cutter and some welding. after that, you will lose some groudn clearnace to dump at rear as this set up will not follow the standard Tbird exhaust channel in the underbody. yet if you use the right kind of mufflers you can still fit a coke can under them to gauge clearance. a coke can will get you over most speed bumps and pot holes.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
There are only 2 options that work on these cars. Kooks are by far superior to anything else. The JBA and SSA headers are worse than the OEM manifolds. Porting of the OEM manifolds will produce minor gains. The kooks will require a complete exhaust change.
Supercoupe Performance is the only supplier of the kooks for our cars.
http://www.supercoupeperformance.com
I highly suggest Braincoating for ported manifolds.
http://www.braincoating.com
Installation is easiest to do IMO by removing the subframe. Use some cahins and supports to hang the engine and drop the subframe out the bottom.
Alan

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
or do it when you do a headswap like I'm doing :) Speaking of braincoating have you heard from preston lately alan? I haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks. getting closer to mods time :)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ya,Kooks or nothing.I put JBA's on my car years ago and felt no gains.Still need to get them bastards out of there.Maybe this winter I'll pick up some Kooks to complement some new mods the car is getting.:zdevil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts