TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Mark 8 - live in Cali & posted this same question on another forum, but no answer what-so-ever -- So I'm asking here if anyone has made any mods on their Marks, TB's or Cug's exhaust system that improved performance, HP, etc. here in California & stayed legal??

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
There isn't much you can do to the exhaust for performance, as it won't make much of a difference, just maybe sound better. Maybe have a custom exhaust made with new cats with an x-pipe to some better mufflers out back. I don't think headers are legal in CA, I'm sure some of our CA member can clear it up on that, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Any exhaust pieces you buy must have a CARB EO# or it's illegal. Best bet would be tbirdbrain's ported manifolds. If I'm not mistaken the mark 8 has a 1-piece cat/manifold so I don't know if they can be ported.

Us smaller counties don't have a yearly emission inspection but we are expected to comply to California emissions, that's all I'll say about that.:)

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Mark manifolds arent the porting type.

I have a lsc dual exhaust on my dohc tbird .. good for 10 hp.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you look closely in the books you're not allowed to make any changes, even CARB stuff is not supposed to be legal. As long as you don't do stupid stuff and give cops a reason to look under your hood you should be good.

I love SMOG exemption on pre 75 cars! no rules and cops never hassle you! :)

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I could never live in Cali. Y'alls stuff is too strict out there.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I could never live in Cali. Y'alls stuff is too strict out there.
There's plusses and minuses to every place you can live....
1) Govt is strict about guns and car mods
2) No mosquitos (Bay area at least -- you can leave you windows open and nothing flies in to eat you)
3) Pay is significantly higher across all industries. At least in SF, waiters/waitresses must be paid a fair wage ($10.55/hr now) + healthcare + tips
4) Everything costs more ($3/beers seem amazing to me now; mkt price at a bar is likely $7).
5) Restaurants, esp in SF, are fantastic.
6) Bums, esp in some parts of Sf, are annoying.
7) It really doesn't get very hot in the Bay Area plus in SF, you have "free" air conditioning b/c of how chilly it can get.

It's all about what you are willing to tolerate. I need to be paid and eat everyday but I don't go shooting (or track my car) that often so it's a question of priorities...

-g

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I could never live anywhere east of the Sierras, too many people saying "y'all" and stuff like that.

Dont like Frisco either, too crowded and no space to park - sorry Gunn. :tongue:

Owning a house in a mediterranian climate > pointless car mods

To the OP

Changing the exhaust on a Mark wont net you very much if any at all - like I said above, the LSC dual exhaust I have, the LSC were rated at 290 HP versus 280 HP for the "base" .. only difference being the exhaust. Otherwise it wont do anything but make your car louder.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Dont like Frisco either, too crowded and no space to park - sorry Gunn. :tongue:
Why would I need more than a one car garage workshop if I have friends who are willing to store my "spare" cars? :)

-g

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Any exhaust pieces you buy must have a CARB EO# or it's illegal.
If you look closely in the books you're not allowed to make any changes, even CARB stuff is not supposed to be legal. As long as you don't do stupid stuff and give cops a reason to look under your hood you should be good.

I love SMOG exemption on pre 75 cars! no rules and cops never hassle you! :)
Pretty much sums it up, hence why I LOVE my '70 F100.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Its yall not Y'all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exhaust Mod in California

you guys are too much or y'all or yall are too much - OK so I got the message, forget about the exhaust mod - I'll just replace the muffler with something that sounds good.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Of original topic but no yall in not a contraction its a Southern thing.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Hah!

Would tease our friend from Texas because she says, "all yall!" Now I say it alot. :D

Nice thing about California is there is such a wide variety of cultures/climates/geography that you are bound to find one that suites oneself. I couldn't get out of SF fast enough! I love my sparsely populated, gun-toting, conservative, farming mountain town.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Seeing how it's slang, yall, y'all, and ya'll are all acceptable in my book. It can also be a plural or singular.

However...that there be fightin' words depending where/who you say it to.:D

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
A stock dual exhaust off an LSC is the best upgrade for a Mark VIII in Cali.

Since then it's technically still stock to pass visual and smog inspections.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts