Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,370 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Hmm perhaps a move to the exhaust subforum is in order.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I would go to an exhaust shop and tell them what you want. I bet it will be a lot cheaper than 1200 bucks (or whatever it is). I paid 200 bucks for a custom mid cat-back with 12in chrome tips (pics in my sig) gives me sound and maybe a little more flow. But whatever your into.. mandrel bent full 2.5in exhaust might sound better and with mods would be better

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
If you are into the idea of removing the third cat/Y pipe, you could have 2.25 pipe welded to that, go with a nice X pipe, and run it around the tank and out back. I had that setup, with a magnaflow X pipe, no mufflers, turn downs in the back, with the pipes angled out toward the corners of the bumper. I liked it. It had it's bad spots as far as sound was concerned at various RPM's, but I would do it over again 100% in a heartbeat, it was just so dang fun!

That cost me somewhere between 300 and 400 bucks three years ago at a small exhaust shop, the guy fabbed everything up right there...it was not mandrel bent.

Currently, I have no third cat, with a Y pipe and a 3 inch single pipe running all the way back. It sounds good, but I hate it with a passion for many reasons, and I will be replacing it, along with the two cats and all four o2 sensors very soon.

·
Registered
407 Posts
im hopefully just gonna do catless downpipes to dumpouts a cherrybomb "extreme " (for some back preassure,and to serve as a resonator) to 2.5 duals with no mufflers :headbang::king:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
im hopefully just gonna do catless downpipes to dumpouts a cherrybomb "extreme " (for some back preassure,and to serve as a resonator) to 2.5 duals with no mufflers :headbang::king:
You should really run pipes all the way back to the rear bumper area of the car. I have done the dumped under your feet exhaust....it's fun for a day or so, then you grow to hate it.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
careful with throwing around the word 'back pressure.' its bad mmmkay? ;).. I haven't read up on it lately but any amount of back pressure is bad for making horsepower on a motor. I believe its called pulsing or something that you want in your exhaust? Try the search button on it. I'm sure soon someone else will jump in on it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
careful with throwing around the word 'back pressure.' its bad mmmkay? ;).. I haven't read up on it lately but any amount of back pressure is bad for making horsepower on a motor. I believe its called pulsing or something that you want in your exhaust? Try the search button on it. I'm sure soon someone else will jump in on it.
isnt not enough back pressure bad? and i know that ALOT of back pressure is bad for hp and i figure running with no cats and only the extreme muffler as a res there still shouldent be alot of back pressure anyways

1 - 9 of 9 Posts