TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have done some searching on exhaust setups and the different options available to me as far as piping and mufflers, etc... I have a basic sound in mind I would like to get as close to as I can, but I don't have time to listen to every exhaust clip on the forums. I am also totally new to exhaust work, and only understand the basics like how Cat's restrict the flow quite a bit.

I have a 1994 Cougar XR7 with the 4.6L 2v, and stock exhaust. Has enough "bark" to turn heads when I pass someone and get it up to the 3000-4500rpm range, but not much else. I am so blown away by all the different options out there though and don't know where to start.

I don't know where to start other than some basic ideas I have looked at and hope to achieve.

I researched dual straight pipes on the forum, but heard there is an unpleasant drone at higher speeds. Is this more of a "ricer fart can" drone, or more of the drone I hear when I ride my step dad's stock Honda Shadow 750 motorcycle?

If the drone is more "fart canned" sounding, I would likely go for a muffler set up with mandrel piping. I like the online sound of the Dynomax Race Bullet muffler, are they decent sounding? The Super Turbo mufflers sounded to hollow or "v6" sounding to me compared to the Race Bullet.

In short, I want a good deep V8 rumble, almost "Hot Rod" sounding, and enough to let the neighbors know I am around. I'd also like to set off a few car alarms if I feel the need lol ;)

Comment away guys, I will check back tomorrow afternoon and see what everyone has to say, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My exhaust is bone stock. Really, really quite. I wouldn't mind hearing my V8.

Since it is a stock engine, all stock car, I'd probably upgrade to true dual, high flow cats, resonator, x-pipe, and mufflers one step above stock.

I keep in mind that no matter what I do to the exhaust it will never have that deep rumble, I love, with a stock 281 with less than 200rwhp. So I pick parts that match the car. Meaning no, it's not the Monster Mustang.

.At best an idle sound that I can actually hear, :) and a mellow tone during acceleration with no drone at cruise. At worst a..."Look no mufflers" sound, "There goes that mud pie Ford again" sound that is as annoying as fat Alice's bellowing for more service.

In my opinion, for my stock car, it's a case where sometimes less is more.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,788 Posts
Will be putting my Super Turbo's back on soon , Just right for my good hearing . Older I get cant stand loud noise, Darn race track have to were ear plugs.

·
Super Moderator
17,141 Posts
Dynomax Bullets are very loud but they either sound awesome or terrible depending on the rest of the exhaust setup, most of the time they sound like crappy glasspacks but I've been surprised by good sounding ones too.

When looking into mufflers for these cars it's best not to form ideas from how Mustangs sound, the pipe layout and length have a lot to do with shaping the sound and our setup is way different. Oh and as rushtonracing basically said, with a stock motor they're gonna write a lot of bad checks.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
I have old school turbo mufflers on my fast car.
Loud behind the car, pleasant inside.

The cam installed doesn't have a lot of overlap, so without the exhaust installed
its really not that loud.
But its like wearing a mullet, all business in front and a party in the back.

·
Super Moderator
9,358 Posts
Yeah, the super turbo is much louder out back than it is from other angles. A hearty sound that isn't overpowering or annoying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts