TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking in to the 2.5 true dual from SCP, and I'm wondering what benefits the x pipe resonator have over just true dual pipes. And would the 3 in exhaust be just too large vs the 2.5 in or the 2.25 in. I want the most bang for my buck but I also know that bigger is not always better.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
To be completely and brutally honest, duals on a 3.8 aren't really going to do much for you. Many don't like the sound of the Essex with duals (or even without, for that matter) and the exhaust is the least of your worries with regards to restrictions. For example a split port swapped 3.8 would do just fine with the stock exhaust.

But if you've got your heart set on duals, 2.25 would be the biggest you should even consider, with 2" being more than adequate. A single 2.5" would be plenty IMHO. Keep in mind that as you increase pipe diameter, you lose gas velocity. The "sweet spot" for exhaust pipe diameter is at the point where exhaust gas velocity is kept high enough to generate scavenging, but not so small that pressure begins to build up at higher RPM. If you go too large you'll lose a LOT of gas velocity and you'll lose ANY effect scavenging gives at lower RPM - translating to a loss of low end torque.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Dual 2.5" is way too big for your engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you did want two pipes to the back i would have to say do the x pipe also. It would bring back the scavenging affect that you want. It will change the sound some but not much. If you don't want to spend the money on it you can make your own by getting two 45 degree pipes, cutting the outside of the bend flat on both and weld them together. Very simple to do, I did it on my 4.6L with 2.5" off the manifolds and you wouldn't believe the power it freed up. Not to mention it sounds mean as hell!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts